Menu

Another Latin translation question for dd19

She is trying to figure out the verb and to translate this line:

Iason igitur cum calceum amissum nullo modo recipere potest, uno pede nudo in regiam pervenit.

She gets this when she translates word by word: Jason therefore when shoe lost no way receive can, one foot naked in the royal palace.

She isn't sure about the verb and she isn't sure about her translations and their endings.

This class is a Keystone class and they have no textbook! Everything is online. We bought a used copy of the last Latin book she had, Ecce Romani, but without a teacher's answer key, it's not great. She is really struggling with this. Can anyone give us some suggestions? Her teacher gave her a list of websites for help but they aren't very clear for dd to understand.

I sent this off to my daughter, who is a classics major. Latin was her favorite language.

This is her response:

It helps if you’ve got a print Latin dictionary and know the story. This is not a sample of real Latin.

Therefore, when Jason was unable to retrieve/find his lost sandal, he entered the palace with a bare foot/with one foot bare.

Pervenio!

She is trying to figure out the verb and to translate this line:

Iason igitur cum calceum amissum nullo modo recipere potest, uno pede nudo in regiam pervenit.

She gets this when she translates word by word: Jason therefore when shoe lost no way receive can, one foot naked in the royal palace.

She isn't sure about the verb and she isn't sure about her translations and their endings.

I'm curious what level this is, it would seem that by now she should know her paradigms cold.

If she's just stuck on vocabulary, the nodictionaries site is wonderful: here's an example with just this sentence, but you still need to know e.g. what case "calceum" is, given the root is "calceus, i", what the verbs are, etc.

It helps if you’ve got a print Latin dictionary and know the story. This is not a sample of real Latin.

She can tell what the story is by the words, but translating the strange order of thm is a struggle for her. Can you recommend a good dictionary?

This may sound simplistic, but does she know to find the verb first? That would probably go a long way in the translating. Plus, does she understand the use of the infinitive in there?

That is part of the problem. The first thing she asked me was how to find the verb because for some reason, that sentence was just giving her major trouble.

I'm curious what level this is, it would seem that by now she should know her paradigms cold.

The problem is that she took Latin 1 two years ago. I suggested she brush up on Latin 1 before beginning Latin 2 (her current course) or choose another language. But she started the class believing she would be fine with what she remembered, the course materials, and her old Latin textbook. After her trouble today, she is thinking she should take some time to review the textbook she has, although it is not used in her course. I think she needs a different textbook, one that has answers to the practice activities. I'm now researching latin programs. I hate spending so much money on top of the $400 I had to pay for the class, but it is what it is. This is her last class to graduate high school. She just wants to be done!

I think she needs a different textbook, one that has answers to the practice activities. I'm now researching latin programs. I hate spending so much money on top of the $400 I had to pay for the class, but it is what it is. This is her last class to graduate high school. She just wants to be done!

One great thing about Latin is that there are about a million old, out-of-copyright textbooks (some with answer keys!) you can download for free from google books and elsewhere. In fact, the sentence in question is from a 100+ year old Latin reader which you can just download from a number of places. www.textkit.com has a couple of favorite old textbooks.

I sent this off to my daughter, who is a classics major. Latin was her favorite language.

This is her response:

Therefore, when Jason was unable to retrieve/find his lost sandal, he entered the palace with a bare foot/with one foot bare.

Pervenio!

My daughter says this translation is accurate but the verb remains pervenit. The verb is nearly always found at the end of the sentence in beginning Latin. Also, she says, uno pede is ablative because of the endings and should be translated with a with or by in this case.

[Whatever that means...? I didn't take Latin! She's in AP Vergil]