Menu

Counting on fingers - should I be concerned?

diaperjoys

My son is half way through CLE Math 2, and I think he's doing very well. Most tests and quizzes he scores 90-100%, and seems to understand the material well. However, I'm noticing that he is using his fingers some when doing addition. Should I be concerned about that?

We used MUS for Kindergarten, and found the lack of review was an issue for him. Any concept not perpetually reviewed is quickly deleted from his brain! So I feel like CLE is a good fit, but I'm a little troubled by the fingers.

I was told by my (public 3rd grade teacher for 18 years) mother that this is normal and no big deal.

However, I now disagree. It was becoming crippling, tension causing, and confusing for my daughter as our math moved forward. My dd is a just-turned-9 3rd grader.

We've been using Cuisenaire rods for about 3 weeks now, at the recommendation of many on this forum, and I couldn't be happier.

She uses the rods to calculate, but unlike fingers, calculations using the rods are smooth, calm, swift, accurate.

Now, totally OTOH, My 6 yr old dd is in 1st and went through a brief phase of using counters (rarely fingers, she preferred counters) or drawing number lines to calculate sums and differences. It was a brief phase and now she calculates mentally with no issues.

So based on what I've learned from my two, if the finger counting persists and starts to become an obstacle to calculating after the concepts are firmly understood, it's time to find another manipulative.

I still need to use my fingers if doing multiple digit math in my head, so if that's what is going on, the child might just be kinistetic (I need to "feel" my fingers to keep track of the digits). If they are needing their fingers to add math facts (1 - 20) then there might be a problem with memorizing the facts.

I seriously do not understand what is wrong with using fingers. One is allowed to use manipulatives as long as they aren't fingers? :001_huh: We have 10 fingers and 10 toes. It's like a small set of base ten blocks on our body.

I'm missing something here apparently... ;)

Seeing as us homeschoolers frequently use our kitchen tables for school work, I'm a fan of keeping socks on :) No addition facts past 10!

I seriously do not understand what is wrong with using fingers. One is allowed to use manipulatives as long as they aren't fingers? :001_huh: We have 10 fingers and 10 toes. It's like a small set of base ten blocks on our body.

I'm missing something here apparently... ;)

Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.

~Mickey Mouse