Menu

Spelling Workout

Tsutsie

I was wondering if Spelling Workout teaches spelling rules explicitly like AAS (but less hands on).

Also, do I need the Teachers Manual for the program to be used successfully?

Any other programs that teaches spelling rules, but not so over the top as AAS?

Thank you clever Hive!

Our oldest is in book D (or is it E? Yes, it's E) and we haven't needed a teacher's manual. We use the OPGTR, so the dc are already familiar with phonics rules. They also read a lot and so far don't seem to have spelling troubles.

Each lesson in SW has a small box at the top of the second page with the spelling rule to be covered in that lesson. There are 4 pages per lesson: pg 1 - a short reading that includes spelling list words pg 2 - the tip (rule for that lesson), spelling list, one fill-in activity pg 3 - 2 fill-in activities pg 4 - a paragraph with misspellings and punctuation errors to correct, and a writing activity which we've never done. With DS8 I do a pretest before he does any bookwork.

What I like: very straight-forward and short activities that I can let the dc do with minimal help.

HTH!

ETA: This is the newer edition, not the sports-themed edition.

No. The rule is merely mentioned once, in an area the kids can completely skip if you don't take the time to make them learn it. They can do the lesson without once glancing at the tip box. Mine did. :tongue_smilie: ....

That's very true - Pooh somehow missed reading all the spelling rules :glare:

I've been thinking that she could use some time to write them all out.

Average spellers here; I don't see us ever winning a spelling bee, but I don't worry about them either. We used Spelling Workout and my kids didn't learn the rules at all. I think the best part of SW is the proofreading section (I do miss that). I dropped it because they didn't like it and I didn't see any great strides. I was seeing bigger improvements with dictation via WWE, so this year I decided to try Spelling Wisdom. I've started with book 1, just jumped ahead for my 6th grader. I also purchased the 28 rule cards and 70 basic phonogram cards that are used with the Spell to Write and Read program. 2-3 times a week, I go through a dictation passage and review any rules/phonograms that apply. Once we've hit a rule a few times, I put it into our memory book rotation.

So far, I'm really happy with this approach. It's very painless and they seem to really be retaining common words and rules.

Good Luck.