Menu

MFW ECC users: Which Christian Heroes biographies were especially interesting/boring?

ereks mom

We're about to finish up the Cameron Townsend biography (read aloud), and parts of it are pretty interesting, but I can't say we're exactly enjoying it. :-/ I'm reading as enthusiastically as I can, but there's only so much I can do to make it interesting, KWIM?

I also have these Christian Heroes biographies sitting on the shelf, ready for when they come up in ECC:

• Amy Carmichael
  • Nate Saint
  • George Müller
  • David Livingstone
  • Gladys Aylward

Can I expect any of them to be any better than the one we're reading now? If not, I'm going to need recommendations for books to substitute for the ones on the list. THANKS!

We are on Cam townsend right now too and are finding it pretty dry too. I have heard that the others are more exciting... if you are on facebook there is a great MFW group on there where I asked this question and got some GREAT answers and ideas to make the books more interesting. Let me know if you are on fb and I can get you a link.

We're about to finish up the Cameron Townsend biography (read aloud), and parts of it are pretty interesting, but I can't say we're exactly enjoying it. :-/ I'm reading as enthusiastically as I can, but there's only so much I can do to make it interesting, KWIM?

I also have these Christian Heroes biographies sitting on the shelf, ready for when they come up in ECC:

• Amy Carmichael
  • Nate Saint
  • George Müller
  • David Livingstone
  • Gladys Aylward

Can I expect any of them to be any better than the one we're reading now? If not, I'm going to need recommendations for books to substitute for the ones on the list. THANKS!

This is how I saw them in my life. I'm not saying this is how you will read them.

Cam Townsend doesn't have a ton of adventure. So his life is like mine. Boring. But God still used him. Maybe there's hope for me. that is just amazing about how he started the whole Wycliffe Translators. (and then we decided to learn more about One Verse which is part of Wycliffe.)

Nate Saint - wow.... oh wow... tissue box. How could his son have possibly grown up with the people who slaughtered his dad and even been baptized by one of them. WOW God! wow!

George Muller: I didnt' like his story. He did cool stuff and all that, but eh... this was my least favorite out of the novels. I bet he thinks I'm boring too. I'll ask him in heaven :)

David Livingstone - I was intrigued by his story and how different life was back then among Christians. very different

Gladys: tissue tissue tissues

Amy: the store is running low on tissue boxes.

I don't know how you will like or not like them. But that was my personal reactions both times I did ECC.

Here are some archived threads on MFW's board for

handling delicate topics that arise in these books

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2042

what to do with younger sibs

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5077

and general stuff

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3173

those are archived discussions and some are older.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin
typo

Agreeing on the tissues for Nate Saint. My kids thought I was a loon.

I have to admit I didn't particularly enjoy the David Livingstone book much, but that's because I was bothered by considering him a "Christian hero" because he didn't really know his family/children at all. That was troublesome to me. I can't remember if it was "boring" or not though....