Menu

SM. Do you need both the textbook and workbook ?

justLisa

I've gone back and forth with MM VS singapore for DS and am going to get the SM books just because I think we need something different to look at. For whatever reason the presentation of MM doesn't work for him. I just purchased 1A workbook and textbook for DD and she LOVES it. I must say, it is much easier on the eyes than MM.

I'm starting him in 2A, but why the workbook AND textbook? In looking through DD's 1a books one is colorful and the other is not. DS is used to plain old worksheets, and I'm guessing he would rather do more out of one book, than have to juggle 2. I can always use MM for more practice if needed.

He's a quick to catch on type, and I just *know* 2 books will bug him so is it necessary? I DO plan on buying the HIG just because I really stink at explaining math I have come to realize. DH is SO to the point, but I lack that ability to get my point across with few words LOL.

IMO, they are both necessary. We use the textbook (minus the practice sections, which she completes independently) as the teaching portion, along with the HIG, and I sit next to dd as she completes these and we discuss them. Then she does the workbook portion independently. Only using one will not provide enough practice. I use the textbook, workbook, HIG, CWP, and Intensive Practice books. Oh, and the tests. :D That makes for a big stack of books, but at this point I can't imagine not using one of these components.

If your son would do better with one book, one option would be to tear off the bindings, hole punch them and put them together in a binder.

The textbook is what you use to introduce concepts. The workbook provides the practice. If you get the HIG, it will tell you exactly what to do, usually you will start with an exercise with manipulatives, then walk your student through the examples in the textbook, then do a few practice problems in the textbook, then turn them loose with the workbook. :001_smile:

I know not everyone uses the HIG, but the Singapore method is to start with the concrete (introducing a topic using linking cubes, pennies, whatever is appropriate for that lesson) before moving on to the pictorial then to the abstract. The HIG will teach you how to introduce the concept. The textbook provides the pictorial aspect, then the abstract. The workbook is useful to assess whether your student "gets it". We also use the Challenging Word Problems books, but usually start them when we start the B book (so we started CWP 2 when we start book 2B) - it just seems to work well for us. The other great thing about the HIG is the Mental Math in the back of the book. I make copies of those pages and have the boys pick one mental math exercise to do each week. They do the same exercise 3 or 4 days in a row with the stopwatch set... the point being to get at least as many correct in a faster time each day. I think the mental math exercises are one of the reasons SM is a strong program. You can certainly do the SM workbooks without all this, but I think you lose some of the benefits of the program.

This is helpful thanks! DH and i both teach the singapore way, though I only very recently heard of these books on this site. We have been using MM because it is the only no frills curriculum that I know of that models this strong number bond concept. The only reason I am switching is because we just find MM so visually un appealing. I plan to purchase the HIG and workbook/textbook and then I guess I can decide if all necessary when it's time to move forward

What I like about the Textbook is that is when we really work together. A lot of Socratic questioning goes on. I probe for understanding. Often I do the scribe work. It is very interactive and hands-on teaching time.

The Workbook, in contrast, is when I want my son do do the work himself. It is much more independent now (in 3B) than it was in 1B, but (unless there is a problem) he does these himself.

I enjoy having two different books that we treat very differently.

Bill

SOLD! I like books that spark questions and learning together. I am LOVING the approach and DD has been asking me everyday for more math. I am kicking myself for not purchasing earlier for DS, because he is my mathy kid.

Thanks for the tips!

SOLD! I like books that spark questions and learning together. I am LOVING the approach and DD has been asking me everyday for more math. I am kicking myself for not purchasing earlier for DS, because he is my mathy kid.

Thanks for the tips!

Much of this you will have to make happen. The Textbook provides an opportunity to discuss, engage, question, and instruct. But the Textbook itself only goes so far.

The HIGs should help you round the program.

Bill