Menu

x-post: beautiful autumn metaphor/personification example

Dd and I were reading The Green Gables Letters and came to this description of fall. Dd was enthralled w/it, so I thought I would share it in case anyone else's child might be inspired by it:

I hied me away to the woods--away back into the sun-washed alleys carpeted with fallen gold and glades where the moss is green and vivid yet. THe woods are getting ready to sleep--they are not yet asleep but they are disrobing and are having all sorts of little bed-time conferences and whisperings and good-nights.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I hied me away to the woods--away back into the sun-washed alleys carpeted with fallen gold and glades where the moss is green and vivid yet. THe woods are getting ready to sleep--they are not yet asleep but they are disrobing and are having all sorts of little bed-time conferences and whisperings and good-nights.

Beautiful! And I was just getting ready to look for some copywork passages for next week. :)

I like to put the author down for copywork -- this is written by Lucy Maud Montgomery, correct?

Edited by Cosmos

• 5 months later...

Hi SaDonna,

I have written 2 posts about what we are doing that I am going to copy and combine the below my comments. (BTW, if I were to go back and change anything listed, it would be to not read one of the Shakespearean plays and have read either Great Expectations or Oliver Twist in its place. (simply not enough time to do it all!) My vision has gotten clearer as we have gone along. :) I will say that dd has completely fallen in love w/poetry and Shakespeare this yr. (and let me say, I never even knew anything about Scottish history prior to this yr!!)

I started off using Where teh Brook and River Meet. It was fine as a starting point, but as written it is not a fit for our family. So, I have incorporated what works, rejected the rest, and designed my own plans. W/AGG the annotated edition is full of references to the allusions contained in the story (Anne speaks allusion, so there are more than one can physically even follow in a single school yr!)

I wrapped history around the lit by spending this yr studying British and Canadian history.

FWIW, I think my dd's age is the earliest I would attempt this study. She is a very academically strong 7th grader. (I haven't quite decided what I am going to do w/my rising 5th grader next yr, but I would love to do something similar w/perhaps a different book)

(copy of my 1st post)

Some of the highlights are the following:

Oliver Twist

Great Expectations

King Lear

Othello

Lady of the Lake

Edinburg after Flodden (which she has completely memorized)

Elegy in the Churchyard

Cobbler Keezar's Vision

Bingen on the Rhine

The Seasons

The Downfall of Poland

The Dog at His Master's Grave

Several Cantos from Childe Harold's Pilgrimmage

The Snow Queen

Northwest Passages (she only read the first book, not the second)

The Character of Napolean

Siege of Valencia

The Green Gable Letters (we had a lot of interesting conversations while reading this one! We are 100% orthodox Catholics. LM Montgomery has some very, ummmm, "interesting" beliefs.)

copy of 2nd post:

WtBaRM as written recommends some resources that I would not use w/a middle school student. I pre-read many of the suggested books this summer and rejected some outright (the Mary Pride and Schaffer books come to mind right away.) There is a lot of bible study incorporated into the study if you use it as written. There are no teaching materials for the additional readings other than brief synopses of the readings.

I don't use the study as written, so take my comments for what they are worth.

My dd does not use the Annotated Anne. I do. She reads the simple novel version. The annotations will guide you toward the numerous allusions w/in the story. (and numerous they are!) The 2 additional resources I do recommend are Anne's Anthology and the Green Gable Letters (word of caution, LM Montgomery had many controversial beliefs, so if you are uncomfortable to exposing your child to someone who expresses beliefs in reincarnation intermixed w/weak Christian theology, you might not want to read this book. For us, it was a book for great conversation)

To give you an idea of what all we have read (or watched) to accompany AGG:

Poetry:

Lady of the Lake

Siege of Valencia

Edinburg after Flodden

Marmion

(and numerous short poems like "Evelyn Hope)

I highly recommend incorporating The Art of Poetry by Classical Academic Press.

Shakespeare (we read the Garfield version, followed by watching a production, followed by reading the play along w/an audio):

Macbeth

King Lear

Much Ado About Nothing

Othello

Novels (both fiction and non-fiction):

Northwest Passage (book 1)

Pere Marquette

Jacques Cartier

Shadows on the Rock

Secret Garden

Little Women

Watched:

Great Expectations

Oliver Twist

Orphan Train

For history, I have incorporated a lot of Canadian, British history. (we are currently listening to the Teaching Co lectures on the Tudors/Stuarts (I think we have 10 lectures left), but they are among my least favorite TC lectures we have ever listened to, so I personally don't recommend them.)

Those are the things I remember off the top of my head. I'm sure I am forgetting things. Anyway, hopefully you can see that even though you only read 1 chpt/wk in AGG, you are really reading many other works.

Oh, and dd did learn to weave and how to make raspberry cordial this yr.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Thank you for posting that!! I apologize for making you copy & paste from all over the place!

I have an upcoming 6th grader that I would love to do something like this with, but I think you are right and I need to wait a bit to dig into these types of materials. Now I just have to figure out what to do with an almost 11 year old girl that is a voracious reader who is currently working her way through Middle Ages in history .. meh .. I am with you, and tying in a bunch of reading around history isn't exactly bringing the JOY that I had anticipated it might.

Technically we should be in American History or Colonial times by next year, but I am unsure of how I want to progress with it. I did purchase the Angelicum Lit. guides a week ago and am looking forward to doing more literature. I wish I could figure out how to do a type of study like AGG for 5th, 6th, etc. I can't think of specific books to work it around though!

8Fill,

Thank you for this. Other than "Art of Poetry," did you assign other writing or was the focus reading, watching lectures, etc. combined with selected assignments from the AGG unit study? Also, how did you handle the history study? Again, reading and discussion? I am planning next year and have been working on something like this for the last few months.

Edited by 1Togo

8Fill,

Thank you for this. Other than "Art of Poetry," did you assign other writing or was the focus reading, watching lectures, etc. combined with selected assignments from the AGG unit study? Also, how did you handle the history study? Again, reading and discussion? I am planning next year and have been working on something like this for the last few months.

I actually don't assign writing from Art of Poetry. We do it orally. I do assign weekly essays from whatever we are studying. (Here is a link to one I posted earlier this yr. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340747&highlight=hope FWIW, she has not master MLA format. I don't worry about it at 7th grade. She is working toward it and the focus is more on learning how to support her arugment w/evidence. ETA: Also, I typed it in. The mistakes are my typing errors, not hers. :))

As far as history, she has read numerous books on Canadian and British history. She researched the Industrial Revolution and its social and economic implications, child labor laws, the history of unions and workers' rights. After we reached a certain pt in the 19th/20th century studies, we switched gears to the 16th/17th centuries in order to study the history of Scotland/England and the role of the monarchies in order to study the history behind the plays and poems she has been reading.

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart