Menu

My 6 y/o hates to write...do I worry?

momsuz123

My 6 y/o, young first grader, really hates to write. Problem is, she is one to complain about pretty much everything we do (she hated public school, cried a lot - big reason why we are hsing) She is going through some testing at our Children's hospital for hearing issues and health issues. I have her do a little writing in the morning with calendar time (writing the date everyday), but then just either HWT or DWN. I have been easing her into WWE. That's it. I don't make her do anymore writing. Even in AAS, we mostly use letter tiles. Do I worry or not? I have read TWTM and know that writing isn't an emphasis at this age, but do I just roll over and say, "okay honey, you don't have to write the date anymore"? If I did that, then she would want a free ticket on all her work.

Thanks.

No. Don't worry. :D

I think of my kids as relatively average academically. They're only just now, not long after they've turned 7 able to write a little without complaint or even for enjoyment. I wouldn't stress over it even until around 8 as long as you practice with a little writing of some sort every day.

Worry? No. ... But if I were in your position, there are a few things I'd do... I think the amount of writing you list each day is perfectly appropriate for her age -- and I think getting used to that very small amount will be helpful to her.

Second, I would look at her core body strength and her fine motor skills over all.

Kids who lack core strength have more difficulty writing. That may not be an issue for her -- but it's worth observing a little and, if you think it needs attention, making a concerted effort to get her more physically active (climbing, running, swinging, throwing, pulling, tumbling, swimming, etc).

For fine motor areas, I'd surreptitiously make a list of fun activities that improve fine motor skills and I would encourage her to spend time doing one or more of them for at least a little while every day. Things like: Legos, Playdoh, stringing beads, sewing or sewing cards, craft projects that involve arranging and gluing small objects, coloring, sidewalk chalk, painting, playing with pouring colored water carefully from one vessel to another (or, better yet, using old eye-droppers to move colored water from some bowls into other -- lots of fun making "potions"), Lite Brite, marble play, finger painting, sorting buttons or dry beans, sand play, teach her to crochet or finger knit.

But if she's already doing these things on a regular basis and she's strong and active, well, I'd just keep doing what you're doing and give her more time. :) I don't think you're asking an unreasonable amount of writing from her, and occasionally doing things we don't absolutely love is just a part of life. :)

Worry? No. ... But if I were in your position, there are a few things I'd do... I think the amount of writing you list each day is perfectly appropriate for her age -- and I think getting used to that very small amount will be helpful to her.

Second, I would look at her core body strength and her fine motor skills over all.

Kids who lack core strength have more difficulty writing. That may not be an issue for her -- but it's worth observing a little and, if you think it needs attention, making a concerted effort to get her more physically active (climbing, running, swinging, throwing, pulling, tumbling, swimming, etc).

For fine motor areas, I'd surreptitiously make a list of fun activities that improve fine motor skills and I would encourage her to spend time doing one or more of them for at least a little while every day. Things like: Legos, Playdoh, stringing beads, sewing or sewing cards, craft projects that involve arranging and gluing small objects, coloring, sidewalk chalk, painting, playing with pouring colored water carefully from one vessel to another (or, better yet, using old eye-droppers to move colored water from some bowls into other -- lots of fun making "potions"), Lite Brite, marble play, finger painting, sorting buttons or dry beans, sand play, teach her to crochet or finger knit.

But if she's already doing these things on a regular basis and she's strong and active, well, I'd just keep doing what you're doing and give her more time. :) I don't think you're asking an unreasonable amount of writing from her, and occasionally doing things we don't absolutely love is just a part of life. :)

What awesome ideas! Thanks so much. She is not the strongest kid, so I will most definitely add these in. She isn't in great health right now either, so I don't know if that is contributing to her overall not wanting to do very much. That said, it is a chronic issue, so I feel she just has to do it - now that I feel some of you agree that it isn't too much. Thanks again.

My son is lacking in overall strength, and writing physically hurt at that age. We did a little bit each day, and gradually increased it as I saw it getting easier. By the end of first grade, he was able to copy 3 sentences in one sitting! :001_huh: Bit by bit, it all adds up. Just make sure you do a little bit every single school day. If you have to skip a subject, do NOT skip the writing!

We also used AAS at that time. I had him write on the white board, which is easier. This year, I threw in some dry erase crayons, and I saw some improvement there too. The crayons are more like writing with chalk - you can feel the movement, and it's a little bit harder than marker. You're still using gross motor skills though, which is easier for the child. Even when we were using marker for all of the AAS stuff (words and dictation sentences), I saw improvement in his pencil/paper writing. We didn't use paper for AAS at all. We saved paper for WWE.

So you might experiment with the white board (or chalk board if you have one). Just make sure she's still doing writing on pencil/paper every single day, and then your EXTRA writing above that can be done in a different medium to prevent hand fatigue.

My son is lacking in overall strength, and writing physically hurt at that age. We did a little bit each day, and gradually increased it as I saw it getting easier. By the end of first grade, he was able to copy 3 sentences in one sitting! :001_huh: Bit by bit, it all adds up. Just make sure you do a little bit every single school day. If you have to skip a subject, do NOT skip the writing!

We also used AAS at that time. I had him write on the white board, which is easier. This year, I threw in some dry erase crayons, and I saw some improvement there too. The crayons are more like writing with chalk - you can feel the movement, and it's a little bit harder than marker. You're still using gross motor skills though, which is easier for the child. Even when we were using marker for all of the AAS stuff (words and dictation sentences), I saw improvement in his pencil/paper writing. We didn't use paper for AAS at all. We saved paper for WWE.

So you might experiment with the white board (or chalk board if you have one). Just make sure she's still doing writing on pencil/paper every single day, and then your EXTRA writing above that can be done in a different medium to prevent hand fatigue.

Thanks. So far, this is exactly what we are doing, I just wasn't sure if it is enough. She like the white board for AAS. I just am now trying to ease her into WWE.

I just wanted to mentioned what was going on with us and what worked.

My DS is 7 and doesn't really complain about writing, but it is hard for him and he is slow at it. We were using HWOT and that seemed to be the problem. It was the LOOK of the text. It is hard to write that bubbly or straight and doesn't look natural. This may not be a problem for a lot of kids because so many use it, but just so you know there are other sources. I noticed DS was literally drawing every letter, with so much thought that it was taking like 10 minutes to write one little sentence. I recently purchased the Getty Dubay italics elementary series and LOVE LOVE it. It looks like more natural writing. A little sloped and certain letters more curved, such as the letter y. I stopped using HWOT for copy work, and just started having him write in other areas. Though it looked pretty awful he was writing without so much intense thought and didn't look so stressed.

This is just something that made it EASIER for us, as he is still pretty slow with writing, but it definitely changed the outlook for us. I am actually working on the adult course, which may be helping him as well.

We added in WWE this year and it was fine at first but he is starting to complain. It was hard for him to write on the lines without the guides he is used to from HWoT. I have used HWoT for 3 yrs but had thought that this year we would just do WWE as he was to the 3rd grade cursive book and I didn't know if he was ready for it. Well, he knew I had it so I went ahead and got it out. It was rough at first but he is coming along here. I am shocked to see how neat he can write in cursive. So, I decided to go back to do WWE just orally for narrations. I think he just needs time to build those muscles. I'm trying to just push him in the writing he does enjoy. He is loving the cursive, he thinks it's easier.

He generally doesn't do much writing either, he was just doing WWE, mapwork and some math sheets here and there(not a lot w/ RS). He is just doing 1 pg of the HWoT, as of now anyway, if it gets to be much more on the page we'll have to decrease that as he is at the edge of what he can do.

We added in WWE this year and it was fine at first but he is starting to complain. It was hard for him to write on the lines without the guides he is used to from HWoT. I have used HWoT for 3 yrs but had thought that this year we would just do WWE as he was to the 3rd grade cursive book and I didn't know if he was ready for it. Well, he knew I had it so I went ahead and got it out. It was rough at first but he is coming along here. I am shocked to see how neat he can write in cursive. So, I decided to go back to do WWE just orally for narrations. I think he just needs time to build those muscles. I'm trying to just push him in the writing he does enjoy. He is loving the cursive, he thinks it's easier.

He generally doesn't do much writing either, he was just doing WWE, mapwork and some math sheets here and there(not a lot w/ RS). He is just doing 1 pg of the HWoT, as of now anyway, if it gets to be much more on the page we'll have to decrease that as he is at the edge of what he can do.

Just curious, is the child you are talking about in first grade? My dd who hates to write talks about how "cool" it will be to write in cursive someday. She also sometimes still reverses letters, which I read is impossible in cursive. I wonder if starting cursive earlier than I thought would be a good idea with her.

It is my son 7yo first grader. He still has had reversals as well(obviously not w/ the cursive now), although much, much better now, more numbers than letters. I really didn't think he would be ready but as I read some started earlier and I already had it we tried it and I am really amazed.

What is her seating like at the table?

I finally broke down and bought the Stokke Tripp Trapp chairs our OT had been recommending for years, and the difference in all 4 of my kids was amazing! Having a chair that is the perfect height, with the perfect height footrest makes all the difference!

Hand strengthening is really important as well - I've posted several times in the past few days about it - if you haven't seen those let me know and I will re-type.

What is her seating like at the table?

I finally broke down and bought the Stokke Tripp Trapp chairs our OT had been recommending for years, and the difference in all 4 of my kids was amazing! Having a chair that is the perfect height, with the perfect height footrest makes all the difference!

Hand strengthening is really important as well - I've posted several times in the past few days about it - if you haven't seen those let me know and I will re-type.

You know, now you've got me thinking even more (dangerous). Yes, I have been doing a lot already of the hand strengthening ideas. Actually, to tie into our previous Ragcoat book in FIAR the girls did some sewing and are now doing a "no-sew blanket" with lots of cutting and tieing involved. My little boy had a food aversion from severe tonsilitis and refused to eat at the table. We got him the Stokke chair by a referral from an OT friend, and bam, instantly ate at the table, instantly. I videotaped it; it was life changing for us. (He got his tonsils out at 21 months - we got the chair when he was about 30 months - first time he ate at the table). I have been thinking about redesigning our school room. I have the girls in those old fashioned desks (got them at a rummage) and just have a card table chair. Hmmm Stokke chairs. She is my child who does seem to have some sensory issues too, however minor. Hmmm, now I have to go this weekend to help pay for a renovation, thanks for the wonderful ideas. Love this sight!