Menu

I'm sure glad we live in a low crime neighborhood because Fedex...

left my youngest's new bike we ordered (cost more than $300) in front of my garage this morning (7:51am) and didn't bother to ring the doorbell. I only found out about it at 1pm because when I saw an email from the bike company, I opened it, checked the tracking, and saw that the bike had been left in front of the garage. If I hadn't done that, I would not have known until we would be leaving for a church program this evening.

I don't even know what we could have done if my dd had gone out there and not found the bike. We can't see the garage door from inside the house nor even from most of our sidewalks or our patios. It isn't where I walk my dog either.

A similar thing happened to us recently. UPS left the box with my dd's Teaching Textbooks math software/book next to our garage door and under a downspout. It's a good thing that it wasn't raining that day and that I was leaving my "hermitage" on an errand and noticed the box. :glare:

I called UPS and told them that I never want a package left there again. I hope you've already called FedEx to complain.

That's nuts! I guess they just assume there can't possibly be anyone home during the day, so they don't bother ringing the bell :confused:! I know UPS gives an estimated delivery date, so I make sure to keep my eye out for a package on that day.

Incidentally, I always seem to have the opposite problem. I am always ordering something that I absolutely need that day, can't wait, and of course I can't be home every second on that particular day. So what happens? FedEx or UPS arrives in the 30 min. window that I'm away from home, and leaves a note, instead of the package!! One time it was a $25 silver ring, and I had given specific instructions to the shipper not to check the "signature required" box because I knew I wouldn't be home. Since it came from a jewelry store, though, the driver took it upon himself to decide not to leave it at the door. It was a gift, I needed it that day, so we ended up searching through the UPS warehouse after 9pm when the truck was back :glare:.

So most of the time, I prefer to have them leave items at the door and just watch the tracking very closely so I know it's there, than to have my package not arrive when it was expected.

Still, I would complain to FedEx about the driver not ringing the doorbell, and make sure from now on when you don't want an expensive package left outside, to tell the shipper to request a signature.

Glad it worked out OK!

We live in an up/down duplex, and they always seem to deliver our packages to the wrong door. Even when I explicitly state in the address line which entrance to use.

Our last downstairs neighbors were real winners- they used to open the packages, sort through to see if there was anything valuable, and then bring them over. :glare: Luckily, the people down there now don't do that. And it's probably a good thing we only ever ordered books.

That's nuts! I guess they just assume there can't possibly be anyone home during the day, so they don't bother ringing the bell :confused:!

Actually, for us it's the opposite. My UPS man now knows that I'm home most of the day, and won't ring the bell during naptime :lol:

Maybe the Fedex delivery person thought it was too early to ring the doorbell??

Edited by Mommy Grommy

I watch the courier drop the box containing a computer monitor over the fence. He just leaned over and let go. Oddly enough it was damaged.

I also just happened to be out for a walk the morning another courier driver stopped at the end of the road to rip the packaging off a box and remove something from it. That's all I noticed at the time, but then I walked up my driveway and found the same van and the courier driver standing at my door arguing with my husband that the box he was trying to get him to sign for was already like that when he picked it up (he'd even put it in one of those "we're sorry, your item arrived at out depot damaged" bags). Fortunately my DH understood my frantic signalling to delay the man (while he painstakingly checked over the parcel) and I dialed the police from my cell phone. My macbook was not the only thing they found stashed in his van and home.