Menu

HS Etiquette terminology - if I do this what are we called?

Here, you're still a homeschooler in the social sense, although a ps-er in the legal. Considering most ps parents in our area do no academic work with their children at home, doing anything at all makes you quite...different. :glare:

Heck, my kids actually attend every day and I consider us homeschoolers because they do get the bulk of their education at home. If people ask, I say we do both. When we were in a "homeschool program", I said we were homeschoolers - their time spent at the school was only enrichment. Still is. :glare:

Are you sure about the bold? I believe you are still required to fill out the homeschool intent form...

I think there are 4 ways to fulfill the homeschool law here- to get your status in alignment so to speak, and they are:

Under Wash's Homeschool Law, the instructional activities must be provided by a parent who is instructing his or her children only and qualifies in one of these 4 ways:

1 - be supervised by a certificated teacher for one contact hour per week, OR...

2 - have earned 45 college-level credit hours or 1 year of college, OR...

3 -be deemed sufficiently qualified to homeschool by the superintendent of the school district in which you reside, OR...

4 - have completed a course in home-based instruction at a post-secondary institution or vocational-technical school. (Note: you do not need such a course to "qualify" ~ according to the state ~ if you already qualify in one of the first three ways. If you do not "qualify" by having completed one year of college, then a "home-based instruction course is probably your best option, although I personally believe that every homeschooling parent ~ college or no college ~ puts themselves and their families a great advantage by putting themselves through a homeschool course.

And I believe I would be required to do that if we were not to be enrolled "full-time" at the site. But since I'm aiming for 100 percent enrollment, it's not going to be an issue.

We have the option of going part-time there, and the rest of the week in regular PS, but that's not going to work or is anything I want to mess with.

I think the course for option 4 is about a hundred dollars or so as I've seen in it emails and such. I could file through option 2 if we were to be completely independent, for now though, I'm not interested in that either.

I won't really know if we are going to aim for 2 days or 3 days until I get out there and look things over. I could be wrong, but the core depth of the subjects of math, grammar, reading are going going to fall primarily on me to teach.

And I'd really be okay with that. She's just wading in mud puddle depth at the moment where she is now. She gets 8.5 hours of instruction in math and reading each per week right now at the school; but it's really not at the level where she needs to be.

Because we would have accountability to the student learning plan with oversight by the school, along with being on site, and a monthly check by the school on progress, we do not fall into any of the above.

I was reading something about this WINGS system you create the plan on and have it approved by the school on Facebook last night. I get the feeling a lot of the parents dread it. I'm a little concerned about that. I don't know much about it.

one little area where the distinction matters A LOT! is in competitions. NOT all of course but some of the ones we've participated in do not allow mixed teams. So you must be all homeschoolers, all ps, all private school, all charter school. it has seriously hurt us as so many of the homeschoolers we know have joined various hybird public school things like this that we can no longer find enough team members who are technically homeschoolers for a couple of competitions we wanted to do. Over here, the online charter schools are required to form their own teams as they can't even get on the public school teams because they are a charter. So in that case, it can matter. Eligibility status is the one place i can think of where the fine line distinction of legal verses reality is an issue.

Ya, I see this place sponsors different competitions..like math competitions and such, field trips and they have a foot in the door with places like Stanford EPGY, I thought this was interesting to read about the history of the program..

Why does HomeLink exist?

In 2007, then Assistant Superintendent Jean Lane, charged to reach out to the homeschool community in Richland. At that time, nearly 300 students had filled out their Declaration of Intent to Homeschool that lived in the Richland School District. It was through research done the following school year, and focus groups of homeschool parents, that HomeLink exists today.

So if you think about what the original 300 families could represent fund-wise to the district, the district was probably pretty motivated when they started crunching the number portion of designing the program.

I don't know what the current enrollment numbers are today; they also sponsor distance learning programs where you are not required to set foot on site at all.

Last year, we took 1 course from the K12 program in literature-and it went just fine. My secondary motivation in all this is that if we get the boot here and have to travel across back East, she could flip over into the K12 virtual program and be protected from entering the Detroit School district until something more suitable is set up.

There are a lot of transient families here between a big nuclear plant and the farming industry, and of course, there is a large but varied religious community here as well. From what I've seen, this is probably where the majority of the enrollment comes from.

But wouldn't this require an actual change in law? The state can't just decide to require more of me because there is an actual law that says how much information I have to provide, etc.

Technically, yes; practically, no. For example, it has become common practice in North Carolina for homeschoolers to send back to the state a little post card notifying the state that they'll be homeschooling again; many of them also volunteer ahead of time to send in test scores. However, the law does not require homeschoolers to notify the state annually that they'll be homeschooling, nor to send in test scores every year. No law has been changed. Homeschoolers are overcomplying, and that compliance has become the norm.

Ya, I see this place sponsors different competitions..like math competitions and such, field trips and they have a foot in the door with places like Stanford EPGY, I thought this was interesting to read about the history of the program..

Why does HomeLink exist?

In 2007, then Assistant Superintendent Jean Lane, charged to reach out to the homeschool community in Richland. At that time, nearly 300 students had filled out their Declaration of Intent to Homeschool that lived in the Richland School District. It was through research done the following school year, and focus groups of homeschool parents, that HomeLink exists today.

So if you think about what the original 300 families could represent fund-wise to the district, the district was probably pretty motivated when they started crunching the number portion of designing the program.

I don't know what the current enrollment numbers are today; they also sponsor distance learning programs where you are not required to set foot on site at all.

Last year, we took 1 course from the K12 program in literature-and it went just fine. My secondary motivation in all this is that if we get the boot here and have to travel across back East, she could flip over into the K12 virtual program and be protected from entering the Detroit School district until something more suitable is set up.

There are a lot of transient families here between a big nuclear plant and the farming industry, and of course, there is a large but varied religious community here as well. From what I've seen, this is probably where the majority of the enrollment comes from.

When notes from schools districts have as many errors as this one does, it makes me *shutter*.

Bill

Many in my neck of the woods call that independent study. That terms covers the idea that one works at home (independently), but has a school overseeing the instruction.

In California, there is a specific public school thing called "independent study." It is when a child will be out of class for an extended time (illness or famiy vacation), and so the teacher sets up an independent study program; or it can be a school or a district that has a campus-based program for children who are at risk (delinquent); or it can be a home-based program for children whose parents teach them at home.

So a school or a district could set up an independent study program which is two days on campus and three days at home; those children would legally still be public school students, not homeschooled students (in California, homeschoolers are considered private school students, thanks to a court case a couple of years ago).

Bill, I thought it was kinda cute too, I just kept envisioning a knight-in-shining-armor blazing through the streets on a black horse..

"Cute" is not the word had in mind :D

Writing like this would be an inducement to start homeschooling, not to stop.

Egad.

Bill