Menu

7th grade Language Arts??

Dd has completed AG season 2 already this year. Not only did she complete it, she scored 98% or better on each of the tests in season 2! She has completed Spelling Power. We are using Progeny Press lit guides to complement our history program. She writes quite well and is averaging a paper every 2 weeks or so. We started English from the Roots Up at the conclusion of Spelling Power. I intend to start Editor in Chief next week.

Is this enough for 7th grade language arts? She has finished grammar and spelling for the year! Of course, writing and lit analysis will continue. I feel like I'm missing something. But, what more should she be doing at this point?

Her other subjects include:

Art of Arguement

Apologia General

SOTW vol 4 (heavily supplimented with writing and literature)

Saxon 87

Literature analysis Progeny Press guides

English from the Roots Up

writing

Edited by HollyDay

It sounds like enough to me. If I were you, I'd get the AG Reinforcement and Review and have dd do a page every week or two just to make sure it all stays fresh in her mind. I stopped spelling in 7th grade also because ds was such a good speller. Vocabulary, literature, writing, a little grammar review, sounds to me like you've got everything covered.

If you *want* some grammar for her to do over the rest of the year, Stewart English is really very good. It's simple and straightforward in presentation, but does a good job of covering grammar concepts and applying them to writing, with examples coming from classic literature.

Another option would be Killgallon's Grammar for Middle School. It reviews grammar concepts within the context of sentences drawn from classic children's books and classic literature. For kids who enjoy reading, it's fun to see old friends and be introduced to new books while working on crafting interesting sentences.

Both of these books are easy to complete in a semester or a year just by doing a few pages a week, but are appropriate to stronger language arts students. You could pick one and assign a few pages of grammar once or twice a week for the rest of the year and get some good review and practice in each week without overwhelming her by adding much quantity of work.

Edited by abbeyej
Fixing a link!

If you *want* some grammar for her to do over the rest of the year, Stewart English is really very good. It's simple and straightforward in presentation, but does a good job of covering grammar concepts and applying them to writing, with examples coming from classic literature.

Another option would be Killgallon's Grammar for Middle School. It reviews grammar concepts within the context of sentences drawn from classic children's books and classic literature. For kids who enjoy reading, it's fun to see old friends and be introduced to new books while working on crafting interesting sentences.

Both of these books are easy to complete in a semester or a year just by doing a few pages a week, but are appropriate to stronger language arts students. You could pick one and assign a few pages of grammar once or twice a week for the rest of the year and get some good review and practice in each week without overwhelming her by adding much quantity of work.

I think your Stewart English link is incorrect. I was ready to read about an English program but instead it was about a ship. I did look around just in case I was missing something ;).

I'll do a google search and see what I can find.

I think your Stewart English link is incorrect. I was ready to read about an English program but instead it was about a ship. I did look around just in case I was missing something ;).

I'll do a google search and see what I can find.

Oops, lol, sorry about that! :) I've fixed it now...