Menu

US History Book to complement the CLEP exam

Hi there,

I am an infrequent poster, but I posted something a while back about US History, but I didn't get too many responses. Since then, I have discovered the CLEP exams, and I wanted find a US History that complemented this exam. I won't "teach to the test," but I wanted to find a thorough and concise US History book. We have been through World History three times, and we incorportated US History in the context of that as we did our cycles, but I am feeling a need to do a straight US History course this next year for my two high schoolers.

I am looking at:

Joy Hakim's Story of Us and incorporating Sonlight Instructors Manual notes to go along with it.

Anybody us BJU US History? A Patriot's History of the US?

I am still trying to narrow this down. I am going to a Used Curriculum sale in two weeks, and I wanted to find out what would be a good "find."

Thanks,

Carol

Hi there,

I am an infrequent poster, but I posted something a while back about US History, but I didn't get too many responses. Since then, I have discovered the CLEP exams, and I wanted find a US History that complemented this exam. I won't "teach to the test," but I wanted to find a thorough and concise US History book. We have been through World History three times, and we incorportated US History in the context of that as we did our cycles, but I am feeling a need to do a straight US History course this next year for my two high schoolers.

I am looking at:

Joy Hakim's Story of Us and incorporating Sonlight Instructors Manual notes to go along with it.

We used Hakim's books in middle school--cannot imagine them being sufficient for a CLEP (college credit) exam!

Be forewarned: many colleges are no longer giving credit for CLEP exams. Have you checked with the college?

Jane

We used Hakim's books in middle school--cannot imagine them being sufficient for a CLEP (college credit) exam!

Be forewarned: many colleges are no longer giving credit for CLEP exams. Have you checked with the college?

Jane

Most of the colleges and university in our state accept them. I have done extensive research. I wouldn't have them take them if they weren't going to do that. The CLEP exam site has a "warning" too. They have a data base with the colleges and universities that accept them.

I get such mixed responses about Hakim. I really want something more concise and to the point for US History, and I have not found it.

What did you use for high school?

so will follow this post with interest. We are Canadian in the US on visa's....I have to cover both Canadian & US History(to meet both Georgia and Ontario requirements), so would like a concise history, which does not assume a large amount of prior knowledge about America's past....as you can imagine, my children have little knowledge.

What did you use for high school?

We are WTMers, having used Spielvogel and the Great Books so far. My son is currently wrapping up 10th grade. American history begins in 11th with this cycle so I have felt taking an American history course at the CC would be timely. This is our plan.

Jane

I highly recommend Dr. Rushdoony's American history series. It does not replace a history textbook, as it deals more with idea's than with events, but it makes understanding of our country so much richer. If you want to follow along with the assigned reading you will need Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. I love this set of lectures. I have listened to them twice, and intend to do it many more times.

Earlier in the school year, I joined a yahoogroup for people taking CLEP exams. Surfing the web, I had found the following website http://clepprep.tripod.com/cleplessonplans/ that led me to the group. Maybe it would be a good place for you to get specific recommendations!

I thought I would have my son take the CLEP exam in French, but I finally decided against it and withdrew from the group, which was not a good fit at all for me.

Patricia

Hi,

My son used BJUP's U.S. History textbook. It is very much "to the point" type of book. My ds was the type who just "wanted the facts". I had tried a different textbook, but it was too wordy for him. DS did not take the CLEP, so I don't know how he would have faired with that test. However, I would think that with the BJUP book and a good U.S. History Clep book then your dc would do well.

FWIW,

Well, my older son is getting ready to do an AP U.S. History class next school year and they're using Howard Zinn's A People's History of the U.S.: 1492 to Present. Evidently, many other groups in town are using the same book, so I'm assuming it must be the standard for getting ready for the AP exams, and would assume it would also be good to use to get ready for the CLEP test.

Regena, Not sure if you are replying to my post but I checked again and the book says it's copyright date is 2007. I checked at Amazon and it gets pretty good reviews, too:

American History: A Survey

(12th Edition, 2007)

Alan Brinkley

McGraw-Hill Publishers

ISBN# 0073255041

So I'm guessing it is a fairly recent book.

Earlier in the school year, I joined a yahoogroup for people taking CLEP exams. Surfing the web, I had found the following website http://clepprep.tripod.com/cleplessonplans/ that led me to the group. Maybe it would be a good place for you to get specific recommendations!

I thought I would have my son take the CLEP exam in French, but I finally decided against it and withdrew from the group, which was not a good fit at all for me.

Patricia

I will check out the group!

The College Board posts a list of American History texts which they consider to be reasonable choices for AP American History. Since the CLEP exam is also a test for college credit, I would assume that many of these would work for that situation as well. I noticed that our CC uses the Tindall text which is on the list.

Jane

I searched that site and didn't get to this list! I even bought the prep book thinking it would give me a list, and it wasn't in it!

Thanks!