Menu

Contact reaction to cosmetics

For some reason my face and eyelids have decided to reject the cosmetics I've used for many years. I have spent the past month with red, scaly eyelids and my face has been flushing.

I bought Physician's Formula last week because they are touted as being for sensitive skin - I had the same problem.

Does anyone have a recommendation for hypoallergenic cosmetics? I realize that nothing is truly hypoallergenic, but if anyone has had similar reactions and found something that works, I would love to hear about I think I'm just going to have to try various products to find something that works, but I'd like to limit the field a bit :001_smile:

I have definitely found it to be cosmetics. Once my eyes healed, I tried eyeshadow again and had the same problem (did this several times in the past month). I don't use makeup remover on my eyes - just my face wash and water.

HELP???

I cannot use make-up anymore either. I have a different reaction than you. My face gets itchy and my throat gets itchy, I cough and my eyes tear a lot.

I tried the mineral powder stuff from the regular store. It was a little better. Then I tried Bare Minerals brand and that was a whole lot better. The only issue I have with it is I tend to breathe in the powder during application and that will irritate my lungs for a while. I only wear make-up now on special occasions.

Good luck!

Edited by Sushi's Mom

What brands cause the problem(s)? It is possible that your long-term brands have reformulated their 'recipes'.

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, but I have "been there". Years ago, I tried Avon and my eyes got super puffy (as in bawling for hours puffy) and were watery and red. Dummy me, I thought that since it was hypoallergenic, it would be OK... I used it right before heading to work! :eek: I thought it was seasonal allergies, so used it again the next day. I had the same reaction within minutes of applying the eyeshadow. I threw it all out.

I have never had a problem with Cover Girl or L'oreal, so after my Avon disaster, I have just stuck to those two brands.

Oddly, I find that hypoallergenic anything seems to make me react somehow. :confused:

Hopefully, someone will have advice for you.

I gave up wearing eyeshadow for at least a decade due to my eyelids swelling whenever I wore it. This year I tried Physician's Formula and I was able to wear it for a number of hours before having a reaction.

Maybe you need to give your eyelids a longer break after the reaction heals?

Have you tried Bare Minerals? I have heard good things about their makeup.

I have a lot of contact allergies, I currently use Bare Minerals.

Eta: I think Bare Minerals contains bismuth, some people react to that. Check your current makeup for bismuth (you might even call their 800 # and ask). If it is the bismuth, then go to Sephora and ask for bismuth-free choices.

Edited by Mrs Mungo