Menu

High school ap and charter school

Anyone here with dc's in a charter school for high school? If your charter school does not offer ap classes, and your dc take an ap class online, which school code would you use? Charter school, homeschool, or ap provider code?

We are not using a charter school, but (maybe) thinking about it. I see a huge conflict with school code! The ap provider will want you to use their code, and so would the charter school.

Anyone with ideas?

Thank you!!!! I did check the college board and it says to use homeschoolers code!

I don't have an answer to your question, but I can tell you something about charter school based on my research (I am in the process of looking into AP course options and charter school as well).

The charter school we currently use does not offer AP, not only that, they will not honor any AP courses taken from private online sources (like PA homeschoolers). So even if you take the course, it will not go on your transcript. You can indicate that you take the test and pass, but on your transcript you won't see AP Biology or AP xxx there. I checked with another local charter school to see if they have a different policy with no luck.

So before you worry about the school code, check with the school first to see if they are willing to put the course on the transcript.

This charter said they would honor the outside classes. But, I want to confirm this! We used to use them ( and still do w youngers) but not for highschool. Yes, no ap classes offered whatsoever! We will probably just continue w plans as a private school. Anyone else? Btw, to the last poster, what is your plan??

The code to use may depend on whether he is a full-time student at the charter school or if your state still classifies him as a homeschooler. Last year, my son took an AP class at our local public school. I called the College Board to determine what AP code he should use - the school's code where he took the class, or the homeschool code. I was told that he had to use the code for homeschoolers since our state considered him a homeschooler.

If your state does not consider your son a homeschooler while he is enrolled in the charter school, I don't think you would use the AP homeschooler code.

Edited by snowbeltmom

The AP paperwork that my children filled out allowed them to provide their homeschool code, and it also allowed them (for each individual exam) to enter the code of any online course provider. The AP provider code is always on a separate line of the paperwork, and it can be different for a single student in a single year, if she/he takes multiple exams.

Their exam scores were all sent to us, and those they took through, say, PA Homeschoolers, were also sent to that provider. PA Homeschoolers only saw the scores of the specific exams my kids took through their school.

I don't think that it would be any different if the primary school was a charter school.

Well now here arises another question. In California, you are required to file a private school affidavit (no big deal) but would the school code be homeschooler or private? I assumed the school or online correspondence class would want you to use their school code, as they are the providers of the class. I am now more confused. Help! I can always call the cb tomorrow and ask. You are very lucky to have a local ps offer your dc admission to their ap class.

Thanks again. Anyone else???

Thank you Kathy! We must have been posting at the same time. Ok, so there are two distinct, and separate questions regarding the student taking the test, and the provider. Dd is taking a pahomeschooler class and is really enjoying it. Thank you again!!! Perfect clarification...anyone from California? Would this be a private school (code) then pahomeschooler code?

Btw, to the last poster, what is your plan??

I have two options available. One is to file for R4 (we are in California as well) and pay for our own private AP classes, or I can go to a local charter school that offers their students to go to the high school of their district to take APs there. I am torn between the two and am not able to make a decision at this time.

We are (sorta) making the same decision. The highschool here offers a few ap classes, but nothing compared to pahomeschoolers. We are inclined to file r4 whic btw is due by oct 15th. We both have a few days to decide. Good luck to you. We are leaning toward homeschool (private school).

I haven't read all the replies b/c I'm afraid I'll get confused :001_smile:, but I saw there were some CA-specific questions. My son took two AP exams last year and I wrestled with this question last May. I found (buried on the College Board website; I can look for it if anyone would find it helpful. It's also in the booklets of previously administered AP tests) a pdf of the actual form that the kids would be filling out, which helped me wrap my head around where the codes would go and which codes we'd need. I also called the College Board several times, and corresponded with the online AP course providers.

In Box X (on last year's answer sheet) you fill in a 6-digit code for the "school you attend"; since we file the R-4 my son used the CA homeschool code (990598, IIRC). The kids at the local ps taking the test with him used our ps's 6-digit code. If we were still with our charter school, we would have used their 6-digit code.

There is also (Box G on the answer sheet) a 3-digit code for "online course provider" that anyone can use in addition to the "school you attend"; for PA Homeschoolers it was something like 028 (given to us by PA H/S; I also verified this by calling College Board -- they maintain a list of online providers, which I guess can't number more than a thousand! Perhaps they'll have to go to 4-digit codes someday ...).

Oh, and some online AP providers, such as PA Homeschoolers, specifically exclude students who are members of charter schools ... but I do have a friend who convinced Susan Richman to let her kids take classes from PA H/S b/c although her children were in a charter school, my friend would be producing their transcript herself ... That was several years ago, however, and her kids ended up not taking the course after all; things may have changed.

~Laura

Edited by Laura in CA
clarity