Menu

Learning division when multiplication is not mastered?

ChristusG

We're using Abeka 2nd grade for my DD7. We started it in the middle of last year and will probably finish it in the middle of this year and then move onto 3rd grade before we officially start her 3rd grade year.

We just finished up learning some beginning times tables (0's-2's) and they are now introducing beginning division. I'm wondering if this is a good idea? I kind of thought they'd complete learning all of the times tables before switching to division.

What do you guys think? I didn't teach subtraction until we'd mastered addition. So I'm not sure about teaching division until we've mastered multiplication.

I teach addition & subtraction facts together and multiplication & division facts together. However, I did hold off on teaching long division

until DD had her times tables memorized.

:iagree: Division is just the inverse of multiplication, so there is no problem with introducing them at the same time. If you know one, you know the other.

Long division is a different beast. I'm hoping DS's multiplication facts will be down pat before we get there in a couple months. They're coming along. He's done division facts for quite a while now and has never had any trouble.

I prefer teaching them together, as fact families. For example, with 3, 8 and 11, the student learns 11-8=3, 11-3=8, 8+3=11 and 3+8=11. For another example, 2, 6 and 12; 2x6=12, 6x2=12, 12/6=2, 12/2=6. I find it makes it easier for the student to memorize the facts this way, plus there is a greater understanding of the relationship between addition and subtraction and, likewise, multiplication and division.

Despite using MUS which is mastery-based, my son is learning division (Delta) this year simultaneously with doing the connected review from Gamma (multiplication). So, for example, the day we did 'division by 6' in Delta, we also watched the 'skip counting by 6' and 'multiplication by 6' lessons in Gamma, and did a page from each. We just did finding the area of a triangle (delta), and paired that with finding the area of a rectangle (gamma). Result? My son's fluency in multiplication and division facts has increased simultaneously, and he is less phased by both long division (which we've discussed but not yet hit in delta) and multiple-digit multiplication. (In fact, he did the latter to solve a word problem during another portion of our math lessons without any trouble--something he was not able to do without assistance last year.)

In general, I am a fan of moving on in math, as I think learning new things often helps solidify the old. And when the concepts are directly related?--Even more so.

Division is just the inverse of multiplication, so there is no problem with introducing them at the same time. If you know one, you know the other.

I prefer teaching them together, as fact families.

:iagree:

We just finished up learning some beginning times tables (0's-2's) and they are now introducing beginning division. I'm wondering if this is a good idea? I kind of thought they'd complete learning all of the times tables before switching to division.

What do you guys think? I didn't teach subtraction until we'd mastered addition. So I'm not sure about teaching division until we've mastered multiplication.

We use Abeka for math. My dd#2 is in the 3rd grade book this year. I think the way they introduce/teach these is just fine & completely appropriate in the 2nd grade book. I'll warn you that I thought the 3rd grade book moved REALLY fast at the beginning when I was using it with my dd#1. It doesn't seem as fast this time, but they do move relatively quickly into "long division" (defined in this case by something like 63/3) in the 3rd grade book. It almost catches you off-guard. They definitely do not finish teaching the multiplication tables before moving into division (& the algorithm).

I spent a summer working on multiplication facts with dd#1 in between Abeka 2 & 3. I didn't take that luxury (of time) for dd#2 as she moves slower & needs all the reinforcement & drill of Abeka's six million review problems. We will have to take extra time now to work on this type of drill (incl. +/- stuff that she doesn't have down cold). The beauty of homeschooling is that you can tweak things if you don't like how the material is presented.

:iagree:

We use Abeka for math. My dd#2 is in the 3rd grade book this year. I think the way they introduce/teach these is just fine & completely appropriate in the 2nd grade book. I'll warn you that I thought the 3rd grade book moved REALLY fast at the beginning when I was using it with my dd#1. It doesn't seem as fast this time, but they do move relatively quickly into "long division" (defined in this case by something like 63/3) in the 3rd grade book. It almost catches you off-guard. They definitely do not finish teaching the multiplication tables before moving into division (& the algorithm).

I spent a summer working on multiplication facts with dd#1 in between Abeka 2 & 3. I didn't take that luxury (of time) for dd#2 as she moves slower & needs all the reinforcement & drill of Abeka's six million review problems. We will have to take extra time now to work on this type of drill (incl. +/- stuff that she doesn't have down cold). The beauty of homeschooling is that you can tweak things if you don't like how the material is presented.

Yikes! Maybe we'll take a break after finishing up the 2nd grade book and finish learning multiplication tables. Thanks for the heads up.

And thanks everyone for the advice.....I'll continue on with Abeka and teach the multiplication along with the division.