Menu

What kind of calculator should I buy?

Will your student take a math course at a nearby CC or university? You might want to see what they recommend. Most students buy a TI-83 or TI-84, but you could see if there is a preference. You can also check the College Board website to see which ones are excluded. The banned calculators are fairly sophistocated and expensive.

Jane

About 10 years ago, I taught math at a public high school and we were already using graphing calculators. This is great for Algebra II, Trig, Calculus, AP Calc, stats. It's not only great for classes, but also the SAT.

For our homeschool, we purchased a TI-84 graphing calculator.

Claire in NM

I'd wait until late July/early August when all the stores have their back-to-school sales. You'll likely get the best deal then, and possibly a rebate.

My ds would recommend the TI-84 Plus, and he suggests springing for the Silver Edition if you can because it has much more memory that will accomodate extra programs you can load from the 'net later on.

HTH,

Brenda

• 1 month later...

The TI-83 and TI-84 (and their "plus" versions) have the advantage of being allowed on the ACT test.

We initially bought the more powerful TI-89 because we found a great deal on it when a local store was going out of business. However, we later purchased a TI-83 as well because the TI-89 is not permitted on the ACT.