Menu

Which Schedule for 3rd Grade

Medieval Mom

Which schedule do you prefer for 3rd grade? Please see attachments.  

1. 1. Which schedule do you prefer for 3rd grade? Please see attachments.

• CM Inspired
    • 3 R's Inspired
    • Hmmm... Can't decide
    • Back to the drawing board, dearie...

Which schedule do you like better for a 3rd grade (8 yo) boy? Please factor in an active 2 y.o. :D

Notes: 1)We are currently doing all of these subjects, but not following a daily schedule.

2) Saturdays are optional, but useful if we've had field trips or other activities during the week.

CM Inspired here:

CM Schedules.xlsx.pdf.zip

3 R's Inspired here:

New Daily Schedule 3rd.xlsx.pdf.zip

I think having a daily schedule is a great idea but I can't imagine working for that long without a break. It might be okay for you and the third grader but I can't imagine a toddler, especially one without another sibling to play with, dealing well with that much time with you occupied. I guess a question would be, how many of those subjects require you to be fully participating with your ds? And also, what would your toddler be doing during those times?

I think having a daily schedule is a great idea but I can't imagine working for that long without a break. It might be okay for you and the third grader but I can't imagine a toddler, especially one without another sibling to play with, dealing well with that much time with you occupied. I guess a question would be, how many of those subjects require you to be fully participating with your ds? And also, what would your toddler be doing during those times?

Good point! This makes me lean toward the 3R's schedule, as there are 3 main breaks (plus an hour of "exercise", i.e. running around outside).

In the 3R schedule, I tried to mix subjects ds needs me to be fully participating (Arithmetic, Memory Work, Latin), with subjects that he does fairly independently (Silent Reading, Penmanship, etc.) Usually what I do is present ds8 with a lesson (with the toddler drawing on the chalkboard or cutting paper or playing, etc.). Once ds 8 is working on the independent part of the lesson (working his math problems, doing his penmanship, etc.), I cuddle up with ds2 and read, or take him to feed the birds, let him knead bread dough, etc. I definitely want to include him and give him the attention he needs. :)

I like some parts of both schedules. I also have a 8 yr old ds. I like the 3R's schedule with the exercise early in the morning. I think I'm going to try this! Have you thought about doing bible and memory work while you are eating breakfast or lunch? It works great for us. I didn't see any time for resting? Although I could be wrong.

I do think your days look a little long but every family is different. Have fun and I hope you find a schedule that work I'm still tweaking ours!

Yep; but very informally (through Dora the Explorer in Norwegian, children's books, etc.) Dh is from Norway. :)

Do you mind PMing me the names of the books? DD 13 is learning Norwegian and both of us would love to do more reading. I studied Norwegian in university and spent many happy summers in Norway. I was quite fluent, but my level as dropped significantly since then.

Tusen takk (and sorry for hijacking your thread)! :)

I can't imagine in your CM schedule how you could stay on track for those 10 minute intervals like poetry and memory work. One long bathroom trip or a pencil that needs sharpening or someone knocking on the door and it'll be all over. I like realistic schedules best. The "3R" version has several subjects within a period that (I assume) you could skip if something else takes longer or you have a distraction.

I can't imagine in your CM schedule how you could stay on track for those 10 minute intervals like poetry and memory work. One long bathroom trip or a pencil that needs sharpening or someone knocking on the door and it'll be all over. I like realistic schedules best. The "3R" version has several subjects within a period that (I assume) you could skip if something else takes longer or you have a distraction.

Yep, you're right! We could definitely skip a few subjects within each block, if necessary.

The CM schedule was based on the 1908 PNEU on Ambleside Online. It may work for schools (or homeschools with 1 very diligent child), but I don't think it'd work well for us.

Do you mind PMing me the names of the books? DD 13 is learning Norwegian and both of us would love to do more reading. I studied Norwegian in university and spent many happy summers in Norway. I was quite fluent, but my level as dropped significantly since then.

Tusen takk (and sorry for hijacking your thread)! :)

No problem! I, too, studied Norwegian at the university and spent some summers in Norway. I'm not as fluent as I wish, however. My German keeps creeping in... Luckily, we have a native speaker in the house, and uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents to call in Norway ;) I'll pm you some book titles :)