Menu

LOF fractions now, or wait?

Dmmetler

DD got to the fractions section in SM 3B, and is happily enjoying equivalent fractions, common denominators, and generally manipulating them. I'd planned on waiting until later for LOF fractions, but since she's having so much fun, would it be reasonable to add in now? She's pretty solid on basic operations at this point.

DD got to the fractions section in SM 3B, and is happily enjoying equivalent fractions, common denominators, and generally manipulating them. I'd planned on waiting until later for LOF fractions, but since she's having so much fun, would it be reasonable to add in now? She's pretty solid on basic operations at this point.
Teach her long division with multi-digit divisors and let her at it. :)

Yep, it sounds like she may be getting to a point where Fred's Fractions would be fun for her. Agreeing that it's less frustrating if the long division is strong, but I remember thinking that that was fun, too, at that point. Part of the fun for her will be that the main character is roughly her age.

Edited by higginszoo

I'd wait. LOF Fractions is more at the level of Singapore 5. I think she should have level 4 done first.
YMMV. My eldest ate up Fractions and Decimals & Percents after finishing the first unit of 4A. She never went back to Primary Maths, but did complete CWP.

I'd wait. LOF Fractions is more at the level of Singapore 5. I think she should have level 4 done first.

YMMV. My eldest ate up Fractions and Decimals & Percents after finishing the first unit of 4A. She never went back to Primary Maths, but did complete CWP.

It depends on learning style, too. My ds doesn't learn the LOF way at all, but my eldest could have done it much earlier than after SM 5, though, had she done SM. She would most likely have hated math a lot less had LOF been out then and had we known about it. Being gifted in math doesn't necessarily mean that a dc enjoys math (it wasn't the method, it was math itself, but she loves the LOF stories, so it may well have helped.)

Guest mom2aprincess

We ordered LOF Fractions last year and my 9 year old did ok but this year she has taken it on as a project on her own. We use Singapore for math also and she is on 4A. There is a fraction section in it and she seems to have learned all of it in LOF. She has zoomed through a bunch of the 4A fraction stuff on her own. If your kiddo is enjoying it and getting the answers I would let them go for it.:001_smile:

We pulled out LOF Fractions this week. DS is concurrently doing Horizons 6 Math as well as Horizons Pre-Algebra this year. He LOVES LOF and isn't haven't any difficulty. Having said that, DS could have done it easily last year after completing Horizons 4 and part of Horizons 5.