Menu

Instead of Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek?

My daughter did Mind Benders books last year and loved them. So, I got the Critical Thinking books this year. They are formatted for classroom discussion and I think they would be great for a co-op or group of kids. Also, when some of her younger siblings get older I think they would make great family discussion books. But for now what would you suggest I get for her? Thanks for the help in advance!

Classical Academic Press has several logic books for middle school and up. They are formatted more like a typical workbook where a student can write in their answers independently.

I love the fact that this allows for independent work. Thanks for sharing. :)

We did the Bonnie Risby series. The titles are Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, and Orbiting with Logic. You can look inside the books on Amazon.

These are our favorites. I wish that they had more in this series.

WHAT WE’VE LIKED

Logic Countdown; Logic Liftoff; Orbiting with Logic and pretty much all books by Bonnie Risby

Logic Safari

Critical Thinking Activities by Dale Seymour

WHAT WE HAVEN’T LIKED MUCH

Mind Benders – They’re good but they only teach a single, limited type of logic and develop only a single type of puzzle-solving skill.

Here are some notes I've taken from what others have shared here, plus my own experiences.

WHAT I’M LOOKING INTO

Remedia Publications 205D Primary Thinking Skills- Using Logic & Reason

Thinking Through Analogies by Bonnie L. Risby

Logic on Meadow Brook Lane

Analogies for the 21st Century by Bonnie L. Risby

10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for English – for grades 5 and up

Word Winks; More Word Winks; MindWare Word Winks

Plexers

Adventures with Logic: Reproducible Activities for Grades 5-7 by Mark Schoenfield

Just looking at the thread... I would not consider the Risby books or MindBenders to be a substitute for the type of logic covered in Critical Thinking Book 1. Most of the books mentioned in this thread so far are puzzle books. They practice a sort of logical thinking that's used to solve problems. Both of my kids have *loved* those types of books, and I think they're great boredom busters, great for long car trips, even great for raising kids' test scores on certain types of tests. But they're not the same type of critical thinking -- in terms of discussion and argument -- that is covered in CT. That's not an indictment of those types of books -- they just aren't really a substitute.

I think the CAP books (Art of Argument; Discovery of Deduction; Argument Builder) are much closer in terms of scope. CAP's books are much more homeschool-friendly than CT, but they *still* benefit from discussion. Yes, a child can write his or her answers directly in the book, but it is NOT intended to be a subject that a child does entirely alone. The benefit is largely lost that way. ... So you would still want to read and discuss together -- but I think it's much easier to adapt CAP books to use with a parent/teacher and one or two students. CT is very much classroom focused.

Given your dd's age, you might want to stick to the Risby books (the "space" series is a great intro to logical thinking puzzles beyond simply the MindBender types) for this year. Prufrock press (publishes the Risby books) and Mindware both have a number of other workbook logic-puzzle type books. She might also enjoy some of the "Two Minute Mysteries" type books... Then, next year, try the CAP books. Her math level indicates she'll probably do very well with the logic puzzle type books, but some of the more language-focused logic discussions can benefit from a little more maturity (beyond "intelligence").

For what it's worth, I'm using Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek with my 10yo dd. I was skeptical about using it with just one child, but it has been a huge success. We've had great discussions and she's using the concepts in her everyday life. I was a bit surprised how well it's worked given the format.

With that said, I'm going to check out the other options people have mentioned, just in case there is something even better. Some of them are new to me.

Remedia Publications 205D Primary Thinking Skills- Using Logic & Reason

Thank you for this suggestion. It is for gr 1-2 and is available on currclick. It is perfect for my dd.

vidit sicut emit (Is that right? :tongue_smilie:)

Just looking at the thread... I would not consider the Risby books or MindBenders to be a substitute for the type of logic covered in Critical Thinking Book

Having not yet seen the Critical Thinking Book, and although I am thinking of ordering it soon, I agree. Not a substitute.

CT is very much classroom focused.

Thank you for this and all your helpful info.

I'm using Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek with my 10yo dd. I was skeptical about using it with just one child, but it has been a huge success. We've had great discussions and she's using the concepts in her everyday life.

Good to know also.

Thank you for this suggestion. It is for gr 1-2 and is available on currclick. It is perfect for my dd.

Haven't used this yet, but I do love stuff by Remedia.

vidit sicut emit (Is that right? :tongue_smilie:)

Not sure what it means ... sorry, Latin's not my strong point. :tongue_smilie:

For what it's worth, I'm using Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek with my 10yo dd. I was skeptical about using it with just one child, but it has been a huge success. We've had great discussions and she's using the concepts in her everyday life. I was a bit surprised how well it's worked given the format.

With that said, I'm going to check out the other options people have mentioned, just in case there is something even better. Some of them are new to me.

:iagree: I haven't had any problems adapting this for use with my dd11.