Menu

Simple Books on Economics

Diana B

My 8 yr old has been asking a lot of questions about money, stores, etc. I have a poor understanding of economics (even after taking a class in college on it) and would like to find some simple books on the topic to help him (and myself) understand better.

Does anyone have suggestions for books or websites?

There is a series at our library by Jennifer Larson - Lightning Bolt Books, Exploring Economics. Anyone have experience with these? They look like they might be at the right level.

(for the cost of this book) by LauraMaery Gold and Joan M. Zielinski gives more than 1,400 smart, effective, and practical resources for educating your family at home. (I've read this from the book jacket).

She has a section on internet links for Personal Finance.

basics of savings and investing: finra.org/Investors

consumer rights & protection: lectlaw.com/tcos.html

13 steps to becoming rich, rich, rich...slow, slow, slow: fool.com/school.html

(Motley Fool)

Investing for kids: library.thinkquest.org/3096

Investing for your future: investing.rutgers.edu

Investing in youth: philanthropy.ml.com/ipo/resources

(this looks particularly interesting)

Money math for life: tinyurl.com/moneyfile

My money: mymoney.gov

Teaching your children about money: family.go.com/tagsearch/money

There are a few other website suggestions but I'm thinking this will get you and any other interested parties started. My oldest loves and desires money so we are trying to get him to see the "evil" of desire and to try him to hesitate before buying. Lack of parsimony is indeed a countrywide problem so he comes by these desires honestly.

If you can't find the link perhaps I spelled it incorrectly so try googling. If that fails, email me privately and I'll see if I can help you straighten it out.

I really liked How to Turn Lemons Into Money by Louise Armstrong. We happened across it at the library one day and picked it up and I thought it was a great and humorous introduction to economics and its various terms and definitions, put into a situation a child can understand and appreciate- a lemonade stand.

Dave Ramsey has a series for kids. We have them and think they are pretty good. I am also eyeing a couple of computer courses from Technokids. The "junior category" has two business oriented ones that look interesting... one called TechnoBiz and one called TechnoSales. They are pretty expensive, but it would serve two purposes... learning Computer skills and business skills. Here is the link

http://www.technokids.com/computer-curriculum/junior-computer-curriculum.aspx