Menu

Richard Peck books for 8-9 year olds?

tammyw

I adore Peck. His writing is that wonderful combination of laugh-out-loud funny as well as insightful. None of his books are inappropriate, but some are better saved for an older child.

Start with Fair Weather. You might also consider the ones that feature Grandma Dowdel as a main character.

I think A Long Way From Chicago is the first one? That's one that keeps getting recommended to me on Amazon, but it says it's for Young Adult - that's why I figured it wasn't for us yet, but I know that sometimes Amazon gets their age range recommendations wrong.

Start with Fair Weather. You might also consider the ones that feature Grandma Dowdel as a main character.

:iagree: Although my dds were a bit older when they read them - around 10?

Whatever you do, don't have them read Are You in the House Alone? Scary, and bad things happen to the girl at home alone. I didn't screen because the other Peck books were fine (dd says he's one of her favorite authors), but that one disturbed her. :glare:

:iagree: Although my dds were a bit older when they read them - around 10?

Whatever you do, don't have them read Are You in the House Alone? Scary, and bad things happen to the girl at home alone. I didn't screen because the other Peck books were fine (dd says he's one of her favorite authors), but that one disturbed her. :glare:

I don't think even *I* would read that one. The titles scares me. I'm a big chicken! :tongue_smilie: