Menu

Prescribed Metformin, I know what I'm in for with the gastro issues, but...

what else can I expect? Are there any interactions with other meds, OTC or supplement-wise? The pharmacy said I was fine, but I'm one that likes to be really, really sure. ;) Also, can I really expect to have help with losing weight taking this or not? Endo said a low carb diet accompanied with the med should help. (I try to be low carb/grain free anyway, but not as diligently as I would like.) I would love to hear your personal experience with metformin and weight loss, too, while taking it. I'm so discouraged with weight loss because I'm not good at it. :( I am insulin resistant/PCOS, so that is the purpose of the script. I may finally be down the road to getting a hold on the symptoms I've been dealing with and lose weight to really better my health.

I take it for PCOS as it helps me cycle more normally. I haven't lost weight on it, but I was of a normal weight when I started it.

Did they discuss the possibility of "ramping up" your dose gradually? It can help sometimes w/ the GI stuff. I never had severe potty issues, but had nausea that was far worse than the morning sickness I had in my pregnancies. When I went on met the first time (regular, not XR, 1500 mg) I couldn't even look at food let alone eat it. It was not fun.

I took regular (not XR) metformin initially and changed over to XR a few years later. I found XR much easier to tolerate (I was off metformin during that particular pregnancy and had to restart and restarted w/ the XR). If you aren't taking XR it might be something to consider asking about depending on your individual circumstances.

Like you, I don't really do grains and eat pretty LC most of the time.

You have to notify hospitals, etc. if you have any studies done w/ contrast dyes http://depts.washington.edu/druginfo/Alerts/Details/metformin_bulletin.html

Be careful to stay reasonably hydrated (not usually an issue), know the signs of lactic acidosis (rare but possible), and you are technically supposed to avoid alcohol.

Metformin plus LC eating helped me conceive 2 kids without assistance after doing injectable meds to become pg w/ my oldest.

Best of luck. If you aren't ramping up gradually, ask your doc about that.

eta: some sources say metformin depletes co Q 10 (important for heart health) and b12, so that may be something you want to investigate. I used to supplement w/ those but am not currently. I should research that again.

Edited by Momof3littles

I take it for PCOS as it helps me cycle more normally. I haven't lost weight on it, but I was of a normal weight when I started it.

Did they discuss the possibility of "ramping up" your dose gradually? It can help sometimes w/ the GI stuff. I never had severe potty issues, but had nausea that was far worse than the morning sickness I had in my pregnancies.

I also did regular met initially and changed over to XR a few years later. I found XR much easier to tolerate (I was off metformin during that particular pregnancy and had to restart and restarted w/ the XR)

Like you, I don't really do grains and eat pretty LC most of the time.

You have to notify hospitals, etc. if you have any studies done w/ contrast dyes http://depts.washington.edu/druginfo/Alerts/Details/metformin_bulletin.html

Be careful to stay reasonably hydrated (not usually an issue), know the signs of lactic acidosis (rare but possible), and you are technically supposed to avoid alcohol.

Metformin plus LC eating helped me conceive 2 kids without assistance after doing injectable meds to become pg w/ my oldest.

He did talk about dosage and mentioned a study that sounded reasonable and I was okay with starting the dosage he recommended, which is 850mg twice a day, so 1700mg. He said I can lower it to once a day if it bothers me too much and we can try something else, if necessary. He mentioned the enteric coated brand, which I guess is the XR. He said it was expensive and it depends on which insurance you have regarding the price you pay. He said most insurances don't pay for it, though. I didn't try to find out yet. I'll try the generic and go from there. Thanks for the other info.

:iagree: with all that. I much preferred the Glucophage XR (metformin ER)

- avoid alcohol - I think the reason had to do with the liver, but there's usually a fair amount of unbalanced carbs in alcoholic drinks

- watch out for low blood sugar too - it's not supposed to happen, but I'd have issues if I didn't eat enough (balance with fat and protein was key for me)

- I too was able to conceive on metformin alone after having been through lots of high tech treatments before that.

good luck!

That's great about the conceiving part! We are open to more children, but I would really love to get a hold of my weight first. I've had two "surprise" pregnancies in the last 8 years and have had regular cycles the last few years, too. Go figure! Our first was conceived with the help of clomid. Well, that and God. :)

I think I only pay $6 or $12 per month for my metformin XR through Costco. I don't have RX coverage, so that's the total cost to me, not after insurance. I definitely preferred the XR. ITA on alcohol (I also find one drink makes me feel it a lot more than my pre-metformin days) and low blood sugar that isn't supposed to happen, but did for me when I was first adjusting.

I think I only pay $6 or $12 per month for my metformin XR through Costco. I don't have RX coverage, so that's the total cost to me, not after insurance. I definitely preferred the XR. ITA on alcohol (I also find one drink makes me feel it a lot more than my pre-metformin days) and low blood sugar that isn't supposed to happen, but did for me when I was first adjusting.

Hmm, maybe I will look into this. The generic was $10.

Good thread! Thanks for starting it! I've been on Metformin or Glucophage for the last 7 years and I was able to conceive two children while on it after all the fertility drugs didn't work. So, good stuff for PCOS/Glucose-Resistant people. One thing that was true with the tummy issues for me, is that some people tolerate the glucophage better and some the metformin. They are supposed to be the same, but there must be a formulaic difference because when I switched to glucophage I was able to handle it a lot better. I also agree with the ramping up principal. You take the 850 for a week, starting with the evening one first, then add the next one in the morning the next week, and it gradually introduces into your system. I also had terrible tummy problems, so this helped me considerably.

Pertaining to the losing weight issue...When I first started it, it was to work on my glucose-resistance. So the doctor took me off all refined carbs (white bread, white rice, white potatoes, pasta, etc.) and I was allowed small portions of sweet potato, whole wheat bread, whole rice, etc. No sugar for me. That was the key for my losing weight, along with lots of exercise. I've never thought it very fair--though I suppose no one with any condition can understand why they have it and someone else doesn't--but PCOS patients have to exercise and control carbs a lot more than a normal person. Why? Because the cells that hold onto the fat just don't want to let go! It takes a lot of motivation for those stubborn cells to finally allow the body to use up the fat as stored energy. I went from 220 to 180 lbs on the diet with glucophage, but I also exercised for an hour every day except Sunday. Then I had my baby, and that pregnancy was the healthiest of the two. This time around, I'm expecting again, I was only on the meds for 2 months, along with the low carb diet and exercise, before I got pregnant. So I don't have more than 10 pounds that I lost, but that's pretty good for 2 months!

The key to any weight loss program is to work very hard at it. Be committed! Show the people you are with every day that you mean business! And stick to it. My down fall, after losing quite a bit of weight, was to feel that I've arrived. That I could relax. I've finally learned that this is how I need to eat for the rest of my life. I can allow some variance for one meal, a special meal out or with family or on a holliday, but then I need to get right back to it. I've bounced back up twice and it's very discouraging. And I feel so much better 50 lbs lighter! <SIGH> Just have to keep working on it!

It's hard to eat something different than the rest of the family, but you get used to it. I used to be a "make something hot for breakfast every morning" kind of person for the family. I tried to switch to yogurts and smoothies along with toast for them, and they all missed it. So now I have high protein smoothies and I make something they like as well. A little more work, but it has really helped me stay on track, AND, keep the family happy.

Good thread! Thanks for starting it! I've been on Metformin or Glucophage for the last 7 years and I was able to conceive two children while on it after all the fertility drugs didn't work. So, good stuff for PCOS/Glucose-Resistant people. One thing that was true with the tummy issues for me, is that some people tolerate the glucophage better and some the metformin. They are supposed to be the same, but there must be a formulaic difference because when I switched to glucophage I was able to handle it a lot better. I also agree with the ramping up principal. You take the 850 for a week, starting with the evening one first, then add the next one in the morning the next week, and it gradually introduces into your system. I also had terrible tummy problems, so this helped me considerably.

Pertaining to the losing weight issue...When I first started it, it was to work on my glucose-resistance. So the doctor took me off all refined carbs (white bread, white rice, white potatoes, pasta, etc.) and I was allowed small portions of sweet potato, whole wheat bread, whole rice, etc. No sugar for me. That was the key for my losing weight, along with lots of exercise. I've never thought it very fair--though I suppose no one with any condition can understand why they have it and someone else doesn't--but PCOS patients have to exercise and control carbs a lot more than a normal person. Why? Because the cells that hold onto the fat just don't want to let go! It takes a lot of motivation for those stubborn cells to finally allow the body to use up the fat as stored energy. I went from 220 to 180 lbs on the diet with glucophage, but I also exercised for an hour every day except Sunday. Then I had my baby, and that pregnancy was the healthiest of the two. This time around, I'm expecting again, I was only on the meds for 2 months, along with the low carb diet and exercise, before I got pregnant. So I don't have more than 10 pounds that I lost, but that's pretty good for 2 months!

The key to any weight loss program is to work very hard at it. Be committed! Show the people you are with every day that you mean business! And stick to it. My down fall, after losing quite a bit of weight, was to feel that I've arrived. That I could relax. I've finally learned that this is how I need to eat for the rest of my life. I can allow some variance for one meal, a special meal out or with family or on a holliday, but then I need to get right back to it. I've bounced back up twice and it's very discouraging. And I feel so much better 50 lbs lighter! <SIGH> Just have to keep working on it!

It's hard to eat something different than the rest of the family, but you get used to it. I used to be a "make something hot for breakfast every morning" kind of person for the family. I tried to switch to yogurts and smoothies along with toast for them, and they all missed it. So now I have high protein smoothies and I make something they like as well. A little more work, but it has really helped me stay on track, AND, keep the family happy.

Good morning! I'm up with a sick child, who is resting for now, and I pray it stays that way. Hate to see my kiddos sick.

Thank you for your response. It is encouraging! Well, until I saw you had to exercise for an hour/6 days a week to lose. Ugh. :tongue_smilie: I did that a few years ago, without medication, and lost 20 pounds, but it was so hard to stick with it. I only had one child at that time and wasn't homeschooling, so it was easier than my life now. I've started exercising again, so I know that will pay off, even if it's slow. It needs to be my lifestyle, so there's no rush, right?! I've slowly changed my eating to no carbs/grain free, but I'm not perfect and fall off a lot. It is so frustrating to have to get back on for the thousandth time, but I do. I'm hoping the medication won't be too bad and it will help my body.

How do you make your protein smoothies? I love smoothies, but want to do something different. Am I wrong that protein powders add more calories? What do you use?

Bumping this up for you.

You were asking another poster, but I wanted to respond because we do a lot of smoothies too. For protein powder, the cleanest one I can find (albeit pricey) is Jay Robb. Some WFs or vitaminshoppe stores carry the individual packets if you want to try it out first before buying a bigger container. It is from grassfed dairy, and it is stevia-sweetened. I sometimes use unsweetened Jarrow and add my own sweeteners (I prefer a mix of erythritol and stevia or just stevia, specifically NuNaturals). I mix PB or almond butter in, sometimes some berries, sometimes some spinach. I use coconut milk, or unsweetened vanilla almond milk (read labels carefully as there are sweetened and unsweetened versions) as the base.

I also make little "frappes" and things that make me feel less deprived LOL. I blend cold coffee w/ vanilla protein powder, ice, and a little stevia. I add a teensy pinch of xanthan gum (from WFs) to improve the thickness sometimes (helps keep the ice mixed in well too if you are getting fancy :lol:) That's my afternoon pick me up ;) Even better if you take the cold coffee and freeze that into cubes, so you don't need to dilute it with ice (from water). That takes more planning until you build up a stash of coffee cubes.

You can also do something like a greek yogurt base for your smoothie.

Edited by Momof3littles

I would recommend working up to the recommended dosage. I was on it and I started it at the prescribed dosage and I got really sick. Chills, headaches, etc. I looked at the side effects and it was exactly that. I called my doctor and he said to work up to the dosage and I should be fine and I was.

I started with 500 mg and slowly amped up to 2000 mg per day. I also say lo carb..good fats and try not to let your sugar plummet. I had some tummy aches a few times....but nothing terrible. Dh had a worse time, but the gastro effects went away after a few weeks.

I did lose weight....but dh did not....then again, he likes cookies:D

Faithe