Menu

Saxon Grammar and Writing

mom4him

Have you used this? If so, do you like it? Can you tell me a bit about it? What do you intend to use when you student reaches high school?

Just trying to look ahead and figure things out. We have been using BJU english/writing and spelling this year. In looking through the Saxon Grammar(what they had as samples which wasn't much) it looked good and much less expensive. Issue is it only goes through level 8. Where to from there?

I am listening for ideas.:bigear:

This is our second year using it, and we have been very pleased with the grammar portion. We don't use the writing as it is VERY basic and does not give very explicit instruction, which my DD needs. We use Writing with Skill for Writing instead. We intend to use Warriner's for grammar in high school; however DD is very very mathy and we are not planning on going SUPER heavy on language arts in high school.

This is our second year using it, and we have been very pleased with the grammar portion. We don't use the writing as it is VERY basic and does not give very explicit instruction, which my DD needs. We use Writing with Skill for Writing instead. We intend to use Warriner's for grammar in high school; however DD is very very mathy and we are not planning on going SUPER heavy on language arts in high school.

Thanks. I am having problems finding any of these. The Writing with Skill for Writing comes up as not being out until Nov.

Do you have web site you could recommend for any of these that would have samples?

Guest mcinturffgirls

I have used Saxon Grammar for 2 years now. It's one of those programs that I'll stick with for the duration for all three children. We love it. It's hard-core, traditional grammar with a wonderful vocabulary program built in. It uses the same type of incremental review as the Saxon Math. My daughter's scores went through the roof after adding this program last year. I highly recommend it!

I have used Saxon Grammar for 2 years now. It's one of those programs that I'll stick with for the duration for all three children. We love it. It's hard-core, traditional grammar with a wonderful vocabulary program built in. It uses the same type of incremental review as the Saxon Math. My daughter's scores went through the roof after adding this program last year. I highly recommend it!

Thanks. I sent you a pm.:001_smile:

I am still listening for others experiences with Saxon Grammar.:bigear:

We just started this series this year, and we really love it. It's got everything I was looking for, and at the right price. Even my dd11, who has never loved any grammar program, recently said that she really likes this one. It's rigorous and thorough, includes (in addition to the grammar lessons) vocabulary, copy work, dictation, journaling, and diagramming, plus a writing component. I hear that many people who use the grammar don't use the writing part, but we do, and it's working out very well for us.

We'll stick with this series up through 8th grade. I'm not sure where we'll go from there. Maybe Analytical Grammar. But I've got a few years before I have to make that decision.

We just started this series this year, and we really love it. It's got everything I was looking for, and at the right price. Even my dd11, who has never loved any grammar program, recently said that she really likes this one. It's rigorous and thorough, includes (in addition to the grammar lessons) vocabulary, copy work, dictation, journaling, and diagramming, plus a writing component. I hear that many people who use the grammar don't use the writing part, but we do, and it's working out very well for us.

We'll stick with this series up through 8th grade. I'm not sure where we'll go from there. Maybe Analytical Grammar. But I've got a few years before I have to make that decision.

Thank you for sharing. I ordered the two levels for my two. I am not sure how well my ds will do but when I showed it to my dd she thought she would really like it.

You are right there is time before high school. I just like having a plan.:001_smile:

Warriner's you can find used copies on Amazon. Writing with Skill is not out yet; however you can get sample lessons on the Peace Hill Press blog - http://www.welltrainedmind.com/resource-roundup/writing-with-skill-the-full-table-of-contents-and-first-seven-weeks/

Thanks. I looked at WWS samples and it looks good. I will have to put this in my memory back for a couple of years down the road, or sooner.:)

AFAIK, Saxon doesn't have a grammar program for grades earlier than 5th. I think they have a phonics program, though.

We used FLL and WWE for grades 1 through 4 (with an experimental year of MCT, but MCT wasn't quite what I was looking for). There haven't been any problems transitioning from those to Saxon.

My recommended progression for grammar and writing would be: OPGTR in K and 1st, FLL and WWE for grades 1 through 4, and Saxon (Hake) for grades 5 through 8.

I might check into Warriner's for high school. I used Warriner's myself as a high school student. I remember it was a good book, but I don't remember if it had diagramming. We didn't diagram when I was in school.

HTH.

AFAIK, Saxon doesn't have a grammar program for grades earlier than 5th. I think they have a phonics program, though.

We used FLL and WWE for grades 1 through 4 (with an experimental year of MCT, but MCT wasn't quite what I was looking for). There haven't been any problems transitioning from those to Saxon.

My recommended progression for grammar and writing would be: OPGTR in K and 1st, FLL and WWE for grades 1 through 4, and Saxon (Hake) for grades 5 through 8.

I might check into Warriner's for high school. I used Warriner's myself as a high school student. I remember it was a good book, but I don't remember if it had diagramming. We didn't diagram when I was in school.

HTH.

Sounds like a winning plan.

I know I want to use Saxon Grammar and Writing. I'm a big fan of Saxon and its results. We're doing Saxon Phonics in K. My debate is what to do in the 1st-4th years. I'm considering FLL and WWE also for those 1-4th grades, then Saxon Grammar. OR I'm considering Shurley English 1-4th, then Saxon Grammar. In any event, I'm about 98% sure we'll do Saxon Grammar and English 5th-8th. The only complaint I've heard about Saxon Grammar is the flimsy paper on which its printed but I read that in some older reviews, so perhaps the publisher corrected this flaw.

I have a piggy-back question: Since Saxon/Hake Grammar starts at grade 5, what is recommended in earlier grades? Do they assume no prior knowledge of grammar?

I don't really know the answer but I am guessing that is what they assume. It looks like they have a strong phonics program and focus on it until the 5th.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

The only complaint I've heard about Saxon Grammar is the flimsy paper on which its printed but I read that in some older reviews, so perhaps the publisher corrected this flaw.

Yeah, our grammar books are printed on newsprint, which is definitely flimsy. But we're used to it. Our math books and spelling books are printed on newsprint too, so it feels normal to us.

Edited by RegularMom

I know I want to use Saxon Grammar and Writing. I'm a big fan of Saxon and its results. We're doing Saxon Phonics in K. My debate is what to do in the 1st-4th years. I'm considering FLL and WWE also for those 1-4th grades, then Saxon Grammar. OR I'm considering Shurley English 1-4th, then Saxon Grammar. In any event, I'm about 98% sure we'll do Saxon Grammar and English 5th-8th. The only complaint I've heard about Saxon Grammar is the flimsy paper on which its printed but I read that in some older reviews, so perhaps the publisher corrected this flaw.

The paper is definitely printed on a lighter weight paper than the BJU books. My dd is doing the math and told me this morning that she really likes it so hoping that the same results will be with the Grammar/writing. The sets for both kids will be here tomorrow and I am excited to see them. I am hoping that it doesn't overwhelm ds when he sees a couple of pages of reading before he gets to the actual working of the lesson. I plan on reading through it with him so I might simply only give him the work pages of it to alleviate the stress issue.

I like that there is a sound vocab. with it also. Hoping the spelling and writing works well for them.