Menu

Ciprofloxacin side effects in dogs

Recently the veterinarian removed a benign growth around base of my dog's tail. He sent us home with ciprofloxacin pills, an antibiotic. The ciprofloxacin caused gran mal seizures, prolonged vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite requiring further hospitalization. The seizures continued intermittently for about two weeks but lessened in severity and finally tapered off altogether.

Has anyone here experienced these side effects on ciprofloxacin? If yes, did your dog (or you) fully recover without any permanent neurological damage?

Edited by annandatje

Isn't that the equivalent of Cipro for humans?

I took Cipro 3 or 4 times (10 - 14 days each time) this past spring, and I think I am still having side affects, even though I haven't had any since April. I have RA, though, and it's not really recommended for people with joint problems, although my doctor couldn't seem to think of anything else to prescribe. :tongue_smilie:

I've been left with tingling/numbness in my right hand. Now, I've had that before with my RA, but it would always go away after a joint flare ended. I guess I can't be certain it's due to the Cipro, but it started when I was taking heavy doses, and it's never really gone away -- it is a side effect associated with this drug, and my prescription info said it can last for up to 4 months. It's been longer than that now.

I have never seen that occur in dogs before from using cipro but they are marked as serious possible side effects. I have seen cipro used often. At least 2-10 patients a week. If any side effect it is loose stools only.

How many doses of the meds did your dog receive before having the side effects and what prognosis did your vet give you?

So sorry that you had to go through that!

:grouphug:

Recently the veterinarian removed a benign growth around base of my dog's tail. He sent us home with ciprofloxacin pills, an antibiotic. The ciprofloxacin caused gran mal seizures, prolonged vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite requiring further hospitalization. The seizures continued intermittently for about two weeks but lessened in severity and finally tapered off altogether.

Has anyone here experienced these side effects on ciprofloxacin? If yes, did your dog (or you) fully recover without any permanent neurological damage?

I've never seen that in people (I'm a pharm tech). So sorry. :grouphug:

Animals can have odd side effects just like people do. My dd's hamster had to take some antibiotics earlier this year (don't laugh, dd loves this hamster :lol:), and it was paralyzed for several weeks after the meds were stopped. He made a full recovery and now runs around just as happily as before.

I have never seen that occur in dogs before from using cipro but they are marked as serious possible side effects. I have seen cipro used often. At least 2-10 patients a week. If any side effect it is loose stools only.

How many doses of the meds did your dog receive before having the side effects and what prognosis did your vet give you?

So sorry that you had to go through that!

:grouphug:

My dog received two doses. This is the first time my vet has witnessed serious reaction to this drug. He is optimistic that my dog will make full recovery but only time will tell.