Menu

HSing Kindergarten!

just.me

I bought Saxon 1 and am going to order Saxon phonics. I need to buy a few more things to get free shipping from Christianbooks.com. What else should I get? I have HWOT but would prefer a simpler handwriting that's more basic. No special paper, etc. Also, Liam LOVES to draw, cut, paste, and do art. What can I get for that? What else does a kindergartner need? Thanks!!

I bought Saxon 1 and am going to order Saxon phonics. I need to buy a few more things to get free shipping from Christianbooks.com. What else should I get? I have HWOT but would prefer a simpler handwriting that's more basic. No special paper, etc. Also, Liam LOVES to draw, cut, paste, and do art. What can I get for that? What else does a kindergartner need? Thanks!!

We're pretty relaxed for K, but my focus is reading and math.

You have math covered, what are you doing for reading/phonics?

For handwriting I have a few Explode the Code workbooks and just generic workbooks I picked up at B&N. Nothing special or unique, or pricy. We also work on writing the name and date using regular early elementary paper pads, easily found at Walmart or Target.

Same with "art" - Kumon produces workbooks for cut/paste activities, and you can find them at B&N or Target. We also do Artistic Pursuits K-3 for art, and then just various holiday or seasonal crafts from a book at the library or any of the millions of online offerings.

There are usually "What are you doing with your [x]-grader?" threads, so I bet if you searched you'd find one for Kindergarteners that would give you a great idea of what others are doing :)

Do you plan on doing bible with your Ker? Maybe order a Bible Story book that you read one story a day. Or how about letter tiles, phonics tiles, lacing cards to develop fine motor skills. If you want I can give you my list and you can order some stuff for me!!! ;):tongue_smilie:

Lots and lots of good books (picture books especially, but chapter books too--take it slowly if he's not used to listening yet)--hopefully you have access to a good library. Story books, non-fiction books about lots of different science topics (some of my boys' favorites have been various animals, weather, volcanoes, and dinosaurs), even biographies and books about history. There are some great books out there written for younger kids.

As far as handwriting, I know the paper is kind of a pain, but *I* think it's the easiest to teach of what I've seen out there. You can make your own handwriting paper in Word, save the file, and print as needed. I have files for my K'er and my second grader. Both have also transitioned easily to more traditional handwriting paper for workbooks when necessary (i.e. Writing with Ease). So don't let the paper be the only thing that's stopping you!

From cbd.com I'd consider ordering their product # WW570225.

http://www.christianbook.com/handwriting-simplified-learning-manuscript-writing/1571102256/pd/570225?item_code=WW&netp_id=221095&event=ESRCG&view=details#curr

and then without a doubt, I'd purchase the software from www.startwrite.com and use it for handwriting. It's fabulous. With startwrite you can create your own practice sheets and will never need anything else (for handwriting) again. However, I recommend buying that book (listed above) or something similar if you go with startwrite so that you (teacher) will have a guide on how to teach the child to form the letters. You'll have the same directions on letter formation there before you and your child can memorize this easier as your instruction will be consistent.

I had purchased just the startwrite and, while it had the arrows (as an option) to teach the child how to form the letters, it didn't give me the "lingo" and I found myself constantly changing my directions to my son as he formed his letters. For example, on lowercase g: On one day, I might say, "Make a lowercase a and then add a longer tail that goes below the baseline." and the next day I might say "Circle left, close up the circle, now push straight up and now pull straight down below the baseline and now make a monkey tail loop on the end." Well, what I said was accurate but it made it hard for my son to memorize the instructions as they changed too much. So, buying a book like that will have the "lingo" spelled out and add to consistency.

(Disclaimer: I don't own that book. I purchased the zaner bloser handwriting K book for this reason (the "official" letter formation directions) from www.zanerbloser.com, but since you were looking for something from cbd, I think this would serve the exact same purpose as what I bought ---- I only paid like $11 for it, but I wish I'd have just bought some used one off amazon as I just needed the lingo, but for $5 bucks, you can't go too wrong, eh?).

We're in K and are also using both saxon math and saxon phonics.

Good luck!

Edited by mhg

I have to agree about Handwriting Without Tears--the special paper is easy to make at home and it really seems to confuse the kinder age less.

I LOVE this program! I bought 1 book of their paper and I photocopy it on my printer. I also made my own letter blocks using the template in the teachers manual, foam core board from the craft store and a box cutter...it took some time but saved a bunch of money! Then I let my daughter paint them so that they were her own...she LOVED it!

We use Saxon 1 and Saxon Phonics with a little OPG mixed in. I am NOT crafty, but my DD ADORES crafts. So, in an effort to keep her entertained...I bought her the Abeka Art 1 book...which she can do on her own with a little direction and I also use those Mailbox Arts & Crafts Magazines to do a monthly theme...just like 'real' school. So, we did apples in Sept. In October we'll do all sorts on pumpkin and Halloween things. I try for at least 2 per week, unless they're involved and take lots of steps (days drying, etc). I keep them all and we hang them up each year and add to them. You can also check Pinterest for great holiday ideas too! I've found tons of fun games and crafts on there. PM me if you need an invite.

Wow, I had not realized I had replies! I thought I'd have notifications so did not check. Oops. :001_huh: I still need to read over all of the responses but thanks! I ordered Saxon phonics, Learn Write Draw (?), and a Veritas Press copybook. We are also slowly reading through Mr. Popper's Penguins. For reading he has BOB books. We did a lapbook on pumpkins this week from Currclic. He would honestly do school all day. He's always asking to do more! I honestly can't keep up with him!

Jennifer