Menu

Please share your ideal schedule and programming for a first year high school student

I'm not sure I know what you mean by programming. By scheduling do you daily activities or daily work load? If my input is not what you are looking for just let me know.

My 9th grader's curriculum has taken the guess work out of the daily schedule. Bible, History, and Literature is all planned out as a checklist of readings and activites to be done. Coop Science has a 36 week lesson plan with daily readings scheduled. My dd does labs with other students at coop once a week. Two hour art lessons once a week help dd explore her passion for art. PE includes a junior volleyball league that we plan to participate in all year (2 hour practice once a week).

I like the balance of independent work and outside activities. I spend most of my time with my 9th grader teaching Algebra and correcting problems, discussing ideas regarding what she is learning and assisting with writing skills.

The way we school has a lot to do with my daughter's learning style and how she works best.

Here's what DS is using for 9th grade this year:

Math-u-See Algebra I

History of the Ancient World

IEW Classic Rhetoric Based on the Progymnasta

English from the Roots up Vol 2

Easy Grammar 9

Total Health

Homeschool Family Fitness

Japanese from Zero Book 1

Apologia Biology

Great Books (matching history) for Literature

Each class takes about an hour a day. We do school generally from 8 am to 3 pm. He alternates days on PE and Health. Literature is done on his own at night.

8am rise and shine, breakfast, chores

9am- 10:30 saxon math alegbra I with art reed dvd's and me

10:30- 11:30 spanish I with cma school

11:30- 12noon work out at local health club or biking riding

12noon-12:30 lunch and free time

12:30-1:15- world geo in the fall/ state studies in the spring with cma school

1:15-2pm web design in the fall/ another elective ?? in the spring with cma school

2pm-2:45 campbell biology exploring life/labs by me

mondays at 3:30-5pm art lessons with a teacher in community/boy scouts--help with webelo group at 6-7:30pm

tues, wed, thurs 4pm-5pm english/lit with english teacher at our house /boy scouts at 5pm-6:30

thurs 3pm-4pm photography lessons with teacher at our house and around town.

friday afternoons- play practice and choir practice--we start school at 8am on these days

sundays church and church youth group

we fit volunteering at animal shelter in our schedule when we can.

homework starts at 6pm unless has boy scouts. on those days he comes home eats dinner, then starts homework/ doesn't have alot.

also, i give a 5 min break after every 25 min or so during studies