Menu

Doin' a MATH 180! LOL! Leaning now to the NEW BJU Math (3rd edition)HELP??

Neesy

Ok, quick recap for those of you NOT folloing my math saga/quest.

My last two little guys: One ADD, one ADHD...diagnosed. There "may" be other issues, but have not had them evaluated...."yet". Our oldest is very immature for his age and it almost seems like the younger may be right up there with him cognitively. They have really not done much formal schooling at all. Just "unschooling" and plenty of teachable moments. I am trying to determine whether to purchase the 1st grade or 2nd in the BJU Math. The oldest is 8 and seems to have an almost photographic visual memory. The youngest is 6 (ADHD) and also the impulsivity and anger issues that go along with that sometimes. He is on some natural supplements that really help, but if the right buttons get pushed with him....sighhhh.:tongue_smilie:

Any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Denise

Are you planning on using the same grade level with both children? If so, I would choose based on the math level of the younger child. You can't really skip ahead in math, KWIM? Have you looked at the scope and sequence to determine which is best? That would be the best place to start.

I am using BJU math with both kids. I tried CLE because I thought ds needed a more spiral approach, but he didn't enjoy it. The lessons seemed so long to him, and I think he needed more colorful, fun looking pages. He's a very visual kid. I am not doing the review book because I am not seeing that he needs it. The lessons are short enough that it doesn't feel overwhelming to him. I would only by the newest editions, though. The scope and sequence changed quite a bit from what I can tell of the previous editions I've seen. It's nice that they have manipulatives sets as well.

Edited by mom31257

I have children similar to yours. I have an 8yo dd that has some delays (and I suspect ADD) and a 7yo ds that has ADHD/mild Autism (diagnosed). My 7yo has some explosive anger issues also. (I'd love to know what supplements you are using!)

I have them both in BJU Math 1. We are just now getting started, so I can't offer you a lot of insight yet, but my dd LOVES it! My ds, well he likes it if he only has to sit still for 30 seconds!:lol:

Where are you in OH? Feel free to pm me if you'd like.

Another mom of an ADD student here :hi:

We have found BJU to be a great fit for our family. They offer manipulative based instruction, lots of review, and the stories that tie each chapter together are a huge treat for my crew.

I would check on the BJU website for their placement tests to see which level is appropriate for each of your boys.