Menu

What is the most intellectually challenging book ever?

Everything by Henry James is HEAVY, man. His writing is beautiful, and not impossible to decode, but every book is still a tremendous psychological and emotional puzzle that you have to continually solve.

Ahem. I read The Portrait of a Lady last year and found it very frustrating. The last part of it just seemed to stumble...I later learned it was first serialized and he rushed the last bit. Masterpiece, I know, but not for me.

The great thing about that book though was that I finally realized one could take honest issue with the classics.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "intellectually challenging." Hard to understand because the writer does not write clearly? Or hard to stick with because the writer is boring? Or "intellectually challenging" as in "happily lighting up the brain?"

If it's the last, I'm thoroughly enjoying On the Art of Writing by Arthur Quiller-Couch.

I have never yet made it through Joyce's Ulysses despite several attempts. Stream-of-somebody-else's-consciousness is awfully tough for me.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

When all those top 100 books of the century lists came out in 1999-2000 Ulysses was almost at the top of most of the lists. I went out bought it and tried. Then I went out and bought the Notes for the book - couldn't even read those! Gave up!! If I have to work that hard it is just not worth it for me. It may have been game changing and innovative but it is just not interesting or accessible for most human beings!