Menu

Lapbooking

swellmomma

I love lapbooking with the kids. THey all love doing them. BUt my goodness does it ever take a long time to print everything off for them. With 4 kids doing them, and 3 levels of ability there is a lot to print. They will be done with their current ones this week, so I decided that today I would print off the next set. Now my bigs have 2 that will be on going for the rest of the term plus 1 for mythology for the next 2 weeks. So printing off everything in duplicate and on different papers (some plain some cardstock) takes enough time. But ds8 needed his next 2, and dd 4 has one to do next week. I have spent almost 2 hours printing these off, and haven't even started one of the semester long ones for the bigs. So worth it for us in the end, but I am tired of printing.

I only have one 2 ds working on lapbooks, one is doing one for history and science and the other is doing numbers and such. I figure with all the time you put into printing and cutting (yes I cut theirs as well), it all pays off. My ds still pulls out his 3rd grade lapbooks to look them.

This year for Story of the World my 8 yr old is doing a lapbook. I got a binder 3 hole punched a bunch of cardstock and printed off many, many blank templates. It took a while to print, but know when we do history we are prepared. We travel

alot and things are always busy so it is very nice having things ready!

For my 2 younger dc, I printed every lapbook piece and paper craft in the summer and cut everything out. I also bagged them and hung them up with shower curtain hooks. What a difference it made in schooling. It is calmer and I don't have complaining about the cutting. I'm sure I will be printing other things but the time spent at the computer for lapbooking has been cut down quite a bit. I also printed out many lapbooks for my 8th grader but I didn't cut them...I'm regretting that. ;)

We're just getting into lapbooks but my kids LOVE them!! I even made a Tot-book lapbook for my 3yo and he carries it with him everywhere. So I see a lot of lapbooking in my future. I really think anything that engages them that much is worth it. This year we are using the Binder-Builder that goes with Truthquest History. It's like lapbooking on cardstock in a 3-ring binder.

It is so time-consuming. We love it, though. I also found the Martha Stewart Scoring board to be so useful. I bought mine for $10 at Michaels or AC Moore with a 50% off coupon. I print, cut and fold over the summer. I honestly just want to get the learning part in during school time.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS431US431&q=martha+stewart+scoring+board&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9438154891347941155&sa=X&ei=0JeCTqrWGOGusQLnptWcDw&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg

I print my lapbook pieces as DS does math pages or his silent reading - anything independent. I just have two. DS does a SOTW lapbook I got from a website and DD does one on letters that I am making up as we go.

I cut for DD but not for DS, that is part of what he loves about it. He enjoys the cutting.

It is time consuming, we do lapbooking on Fridays only. It is a special activity if DS has finished all of his work.