Menu

I See Sam readers...from 3R's or I See Sam

Blessed with seven

I believe I read here that the ones from I See Sam have comprehension questions and the others do not? You may get an answer quicker on the SN's board as many there use them.

SN's Board? What is that?

Also...the ones from 3RsPlus have comprehension questions also and are $10 cheaper a set...I did get a response back from the 3RsPlus when I asked the difference...here is her response:

Thank you for your question....I will try and answer it as straightforwad as possible without becoming too technical:)

The BRI books are a revised/updated version of the original (and highly successful) South West Educational Regional Laboratory (SWRL) Kindergarten Beginning reading Program. All revisions made by 3RsPllus were made by a former SWRL linguist and research staff members who developed the original "I See Sam" reading program. As noted on the "About Us" link on our website, the former SWRL Director, Dr. Dick Schutz, is president of 3RsPlus and provided the majority of the revisions and updates to this program.

When the reading series was initially developed during the late 1960's, BRI was called the 'SWRL Kindergarten Beginning Reading Program'. However, when the books were implemented in kindergarten classrooms across the U.S. during the 1970's, they became popularly known as the I See Sam books, after the main character in Book 1.

When 3RsPlus revised the original SWRL I See Sam books, the name was changed to BRI (Beginning Reading Instruction). The 3RsPlus BRI books embody the most up-to-date research on beginning reading instruction and were revised to make instruction more simple and straightforward. This includes the following:

• One of the most important differences is that 3RsPlus updated the instructional procedures and makes explicit what the instructor is to do and what the child is to do.'I See Sam.com' changed the instructional procedures to "Say it fast. Say it slow." Speed of articulation is not not relevant in learning how to handle the Alphabetic Code.

• 3RsPlus deleted 4 books from the original SWRL series because the they included no new Alphabetic Code/English phonic sounds. Most children do not need this additional practice. For those who do need more practice we added the 10 Booster Books, which give children practice in all the letter/sound correspondences that are included in BRI 1 and 2.

• 'I See Sam.com' removed all the punctuation marks in Book 1. This increases the difficulty of reading for the child.

• 'I See Sam.com' added a "Phonemic Awareness" program to precede and a "Fluency Program to follow instruction. These are unnecessary and counter-productive. 3RsPlus developed SPELL, which strengthens the child's reading and effectively teaches spelling.

• The most obvious difference is the cost. 3RsPlus charge per set is $20 compared to the I See Sam.com charge of $30. And 3RsPlus shipping and handling charge is about half of The I See Sam.com charge.

There are other differences but they are more technical and not as consequential. You can also check out the 'Research' link on the website to see the results of the unprecedented amount of research that has been carried out on this particular beginning reading series.... no other reading series has been known to show such astounding results.

Finally, there is a yahoo forum devoted to BRI:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Beginning-Reading-Instruction/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=13

You have to "join" to get access, but this is only to protect the privacy of the children that the members post about. The Files include some very useful information that is not on the 3RsPlus website.

I hope this explanation helps. We'll welcome any further questions or concerns you may have, and wish you the best in the instruction.

I used 3R and was really happy with them. I don't think I knew that you could print the early books for free, but dh probably would freaked out and not wanted to pay for all the ink (people don't always calculate the real cost of printing).

One of my sons learned to read on his own, but my other boy struggled. The I See Sam books made all the difference. He's eight and is now reading chapter books on his own -- he just finished Socks by Beverly Clearly -- with happiness. (I still read aloud other books though.)

I'm so happy that I take pics of him reading.

Alley

• 1 year later...