Menu

What are you most excited about for next year?

I'm in the midst of planning an AP US Government class and the more I plan, the more excited I become! I'm not that crazy about politics, but I can't wait for discussions on the Constitution, current events, Federalist/Anti-federalist papers.

Besides the AP US Gov class, I'm excited about:

another Shakespeare semester

a biology cooperative class

teaching my 4-yo beginning phonics

What are you really excited about in your school year next year? New schedule, new focus, new classes or some tried-and-true books? I'd love to hear.

Lisa

1) My high school age daughter will be taking Biology w/lab and Spanish at our local cooperative. While we could certainly do the Spanish at home (it was one of my majors), I am excited to get the "science monkey" off my back ! :)

2) My 8th grader-to-be has requested Latin again! We had to drop it a couple of years ago due to a flair-up of her OCD. I hope the new Latin curriculum from Classical Academic Press is ready in time!

Denise in NE

I'm excited about Omnibus 1, our first true venture into The Great Books.

I'm also teaching a C.S. Lewis class next fall and am really excited to do that. I'm emersing myself in how to teach Socratic discussion, literary analysis and everything I can get my hands on about The Chronicles of Narnia.

I just received it last week (year 1, revised). It looks a little daunting but I am determined to plan and do some reading before the school year starts. I have read every thread here on TOG and have picked up some good tips. I will be using this for my youngest daughter in 9th grade in the fall.

Laurie in CA

I'm excited that my 14 year old son will be officially a high school homeschooler!!!

If everyone will indulge me in a small brag moment -- my son has high functioning autism and we were told, when he was diagnosed at age 5, that there was no way I could homeschool him. We should consider sending him away to a special school, and he would come home on weekends and holidays. He would never learn to read, do math, go to college, drive a car, etc., etc., etc.

He's doing beautifully!! He's ready to start Algebra I, Introduction to Literature, Biology, Beginning Spanish, etc., etc. -- all of those subjects that I never DREAMED he would be able to do...and he scored in the 98th percentile on his 8th grade CAT test this year!!! :D

So much for the "experts" opinion...

So I am VERY excited about teaching HIGH SCHOOL with my boy!! :)

I'm most excited about Trisms and the Learnables for German--it looks more manageable than Rosetta Stone (which we have, but it just doesn't seem to work for us)...I'm excited about what will happen with hockey, especially as he plays for the regional team in Calgary this summer!

If everyone will indulge me in a small brag moment -- my son has high functioning autism and we were told, when he was diagnosed at age 5, that there was no way I could homeschool him. We should consider sending him away to a special school, and he would come home on weekends and holidays. He would never learn to read, do math, go to college, drive a car, etc., etc., etc.

He's doing beautifully!! ...

Congratulations and brag away! More power to him and to you for getting him for there to here.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm excited that my 14 year old son will be officially a high school homeschooler!!!

If everyone will indulge me in a small brag moment -- my son has high functioning autism and we were told, when he was diagnosed at age 5, that there was no way I could homeschool him....and he scored in the 98th percentile on his 8th grade CAT test this year!!! :D

Way to go Kelly & ds!!!!!!

Brenda

My 15yo will start some college courses and focus more on her volunteer work. It's neat to see her blossoming into a wonderful young woman.

My 13yo will be doing our state's virtual academy that was so perfect for him this past year. He and I both are looking forward to fall though he's set on summer break for now (we're schooling-lite for June then he'll have 6-7 weeks off).

and me? I think I'll learn how to garden some more. And I'm thinking of using the Life of Fred books to get through Calculus (says it covers all levels of Calc). Maybe that will make it fun :D Maybe Live Mocha to do Spanish for now unless I decide to buy Platiquemos <sp> I better not load myself up too much though.

FloridaLisa, I'm excited about the American Government class for next year, too (although dd won't be doing the AP level). Every evening our home becomes "election central" as we surf cable news channels. Dh and kids are American-born, but I became a US citizen fairly recently, and I'm looking forward to learning alongside dd (I crammed the day before the citizenship test and immediately forgot most of the material! :sad:).

Dd, almost 14yo, is excited about foreign language work. Latin II with Scholars Online, Spanish with Instituto Cervantes AVE classes, and Swedish with Rosetta Stone. At this moment she's listening to the Aristocats movie in Hebrew. Some days I feel that I should just chuck the rest of the curriculum and let her focus solely on languages. Hmmm... perhaps Geometry would be more appealing in Swahili? :001_smile:

I too am excited about TOG and organizing it a bit better to work for me as I administrate it. Ds#3 is coming up and will be doing more with the curriculum He'll be in 5th grade, and it is time for him to buck up a bit and take on more. DD is in 10th and we are having discussions all on our own as Ds #1 has moved on from the curriculum.

I am also excited to have a summer book club with 8 teenaged girls. I'm in the midst of planning it and gathering exciting, thought-provoking, stimulating questions and avenues to explore as we read together.

That's awesome, Kelly! Congrats to you and your son. :001_smile:

My oldest starts high school next year, too. I guess I'm most excited about planning... I'm still in the midst of it. Gotta start nailing the details down, though, I'm running out of time. :tongue_smilie: