Menu

California experts please?

memphispeg

My dd wants to apply to Cal-Poly SLO. We have researched it heavily on-line, watched all the videos, gone to College Confidential, joined their facebook page, etc. It looks like a good fit for her.

Does anyone out there in the hive know about this school?

Do you know kids who have attended and graduated?

Were they happy there?

I know that the Cal. University system is experiencing great stress these days, should dd take a chance on this place?

Are there any secrets to filling out the CSU application form?

Thanks to all of you for all the great posts about so many of the relevant college issues. :)

I know 3 young ladies who are attending SLO. What would you like to know? I know they love it. I can send them a list of questions (I'm facebook friends with 2 of them) and share their answers with you. It is in a lovely part of California, lots of green hills (well, brown this time of year), lots of cows grazing on the hills. My ds dubbed the area "Bovinia" because of all the cows.

So your dd would be applying as an out of state student? Have you looked to see what their homeschool requirements are for admission? They aren't terribly welcoming to independent homeschoolers, at least those of us who are California residents. The California schools are indeed heavily impacted by budget cuts. It has meant reduced class offerings, staff cuts (layoffs and pay cuts), even library closures on some campuses. It can make it a challenge to get the courses you need for graduation. BUT, the system loves out of state students because of the money they bring in with their higher tuition rate!

My own ds is not even going to bother with any of the California public universities, after his experience with the community college system. The challenges of getting classes each semester is exhausting and the poor equipment in science labs (one microscope for 40 students) was frustrating. Things are bleak and the forecast is grim, so he is looking for small LACs that are far from home!

Cal Poly SLO is a good school, and lots of students want to go there. It, like other CA public universities, is impacted, meaning it is difficult to get accepted, difficult to get accepted into some specific majors, and hard to register for classes once accepted. Realistically, it could take 5-6 years to graduate because of class cuts. Just something to be aware of. That may vary depending on the major, but I am not sure. I know students who have gone to school there and graduated (one just last spring), and they really liked it there. It is in a beautiful area, too.

So yes, take a chance and apply. Why not? You won't know what will happen unless you try. I don't think there are any secrets to filling out the application.

Like the other poster's ds, my dc are not attending CA public universities. Oldest ds had a horrible experience trying to get classes at a CSU (not SLO). He ended up going out of state for college instead. My dd learned from his and other friends' experiences and did not even consider CA public universities. In fact, a guidance counselor at the cc told her to go to a private university or an out of state university and to consider a UC or CSU only as a last resort.

But if you are from out of state everything may be different because tuition is higher for out of state students, and the CSU and UC systems want that money from you.

not have the classes available that your dc need? We live in California. Dd applied and was accepted at the one public school she applied to. All other schools were several states away. It's your money, but the state has very little going for itself right now, except for its weather. Be sure to google things like "Cal State tuition increase, student demonstrations in California, Victor Davis Hanson Cal State". Due diligence is essential.

Thanks y'all. The issues raised were consistent with the impression I got from all the news about the Cal. education system. I just sort of hoped it wasn't true. Dd will apply b/c from way over here in TN Cal Poly is theoretically perfect. Maybe there will be a miracle of some sort???? Dd really does not want to take a chance on not graduating in 4 years, etc. I don't want her to be deep in debt when she graduates. Another piece of the dream may bite the dust.....hopefully enough will be left over

I am from S. California, went to cc, state U, LAC and UCLA - all in California. My youngest would LOVE to go to college in CA - but I have told her (after looking into out-of-state possibilities for her older brother) to aim for a LAC in CA like Chapman (where I got my BA) rather than the public system. Just looks too unlikely to offer ANY merit aid to out-of-state student, if they even get accepted. Too many in-state kids want/need to get in!

Other states look far more friendly to out-of-state students. So let her apply - but as a long-shot. Idea - would it be easier to get into the school or another Ca. school in a graduate program in four years??????

Edited by JFSinIL

Other states look far more friendly to out-of-state students. So let her apply - but as a long-shot. Idea - would it be easier to get into the school or another Ca. school in a graduate program in four years??????

This is an interesting idea, defer the dream. Also, there's always working here after graduating. California needs taxpayers. Or, come visit and try out our sales and gasoline taxes.

Janice -

The dd would gladly come out tomorrow as a tourist but, she has no drivers license and does not like shopping!!!! I don't think y'all could beat Memphis' sales taxes!!!!

Kidding aside, dd would love to try to come to CA as a grad. student. Her dream has always been UCSB!!! So, yet more incentive for her to work hard in undergrad. She is applying to some of the LACs in CA, so we shall see, she may get there yet!!!

I think it's good to experience a different part of the country. UCSB is in a gorgeous area. Here's to a good match for your dd, now and later.

Oh my, I Googled your state's sales tax. The rate here was recently reduced to 9.25%, but it's not on most food items. The guys in Sacramento would love to do this--tax more things and make it more complex. They like the latter almost as much as the former.

• 7 months later...

My cousin and my SIL went there and not only loved it, but are very successful adults now! But of course that was before CA became the disaster of a state it is now. Dh and I are both from CA, and have always wanted to go back and have our kids go to college there--- but not anymore. Between Moonbeam, the Dream Act, the cost of living and housing, always rising taxes and now the state college system in disaster---it's the last place we want to be or have our children be. There is no harm in your dd applying, but just be aware Ca is a state on the brink of complete collapse and disaster( or so the news makes it sound that way) so perhaps grad school would be a better bet ;)