Menu

x-post: Can you talk to me about grammar?

I asked this over on the logic stage board and would like thoughts/opinions here also.

How long does one need to study grammar? I guess my real question is how much depth is recommended/required. Is it necessary through high school?

Dd is doing BJU English 8 and the lesson is on transitive verbs and intransitive verbs. She asked me after painstakingly going through this lesson :glare: when she will ever use this.

I don't know when she will ever use this. I have NEVER used this. I do not remember learning about this. So- this leads to my question. Is there a point when we can just do something lightly for grammar skill retention/ more of a review so she does not lose her skills or do we really need 12 full years of it?

I know the 'my homeschool my rules' but I don't want to short change her. I want my kids to have a thorough rigorous education but I also don't want to waste time on something that is not needed that we could spend on something else of more use. Does that make sense? Am I saying grammar is pointless? Ofcourse not but at what point is enough simply enough?

If I am completely missing something vital, please gently remind me. I don't want stones thrown, I am genuinely curious. I had a not so great public school education and alot of this I don't remember, but with that being said maybe that's one of the reason my school was so poor, kwim?

Any thoughts on this?

At the risk of being accused of stalking you.. I'm going to respond to another of your posts :-). We do the same as Sue. Our goal is to be done by 8th grade and then just review in high school. We use Analytical Grammar. It has high school review books we use in high school along with the grammar they get through foreign language (my current high schooler is doing Latin and Greek). It's been plenty. She has excellent grammar knowledge and did very well on the PSATs in the 10th grade (we'll take them again in a couple of weeks).

Heather

My dc study grammar (A Beka) up through 10th grade, review in 11th and then stop grammar in 12th. We found this really paid off in their test scores on the English/writing portions of the PSAT, SAT and ACT (and the dc were the ones to say so outright!:D) It's also turned out to give them a good life skill that they have retained and which they do put to use (they take great pleasure in correcting my emails! :glare:)

And it was relatively easy and painless to do... they only did about 2 pages (15-20 minutes) of grammar a day.

Anyway, I think once the student has a firm grasp of all of the grammar concepts and has finished the college tests, there's no need to continue grammar study or review.

We do the same as Sue. Our goal is to be done by 8th grade and then just review in high school. We use Analytical Grammar. It has high school review books we use in high school along with the grammar they get through foreign language (my current high schooler is doing Latin and Greek). It's been plenty. She has excellent grammar knowledge and did very well on the PSATs in the 10th grade (we'll take them again in a couple of weeks).

Heather

I will check Analytical Grammar out. I have lightly been checking out Easy Grammar and Daily Grams for review through high school. Right now our grammar lessons take about 45 minutes a day :001_huh:

I feel your pain on this one! After the 7th grade Rod and Staff book, we couldn't take it anymore! We didn't even make it to the 8th grade book. It seemed like you said, pointless. I am sure we should have done at least one more year, but alas...

My oldest dd's grammar began to slip after no grammar in 9th grade. (It took us two years to finish that 7th grade book!) So this year, I put her in Easy Grammar, the Ultimate Series. My second dd finished R and S 7th grade book in the 7th grade, so she is also doing Easy Grammar. They both really like the change of pace. It is pretty painless. I have been able to correct all kinds of comma mistakes they both kept making by working them through this program, and they have been getting good review of necessary grammar skills daily. We love it. I'm slogging through Rod and Staff grade 6 with third child--that's about all I can handle. I just got burned out teaching grammar I guess.

I feel your pain on this one! After the 7th grade Rod and Staff book, we couldn't take it anymore! We didn't even make it to the 8th grade book. It seemed like you said, pointless. I am sure we should have done at least one more year, but alas...

My oldest dd's grammar began to slip after no grammar in 9th grade. (It took us two years to finish that 7th grade book!) So this year, I put her in Easy Grammar, the Ultimate Series. My second dd finished R and S 7th grade book in the 7th grade, so she is also doing Easy Grammar. They both really like the change of pace. It is pretty painless. I have been able to correct all kinds of comma mistakes they both kept making by working them through this program, and they have been getting good review of necessary grammar skills daily. We love it. I'm slogging through Rod and Staff grade 6 with third child--that's about all I can handle. I just got burned out teaching grammar I guess.

Would you say Easy Grammar is worth it? I need to read up on what the difference is between Easy Grammar Plus and Easy Grammar Ultimate. I am sure its on their website but what made you decide on Ultimate vs Plus? (admittedly I have not checked out the differences yet, I just lightly started looking)