Menu

Lisbon...what to see and do? Travel tips?

I may get to travel to Lisbon with my husband on a business trip. My 4th grade ds will also go. I've never travelled out of the country and would appreciate any tips regarding international travel to Europe.

I also hope to receive some suggestions about what to see and do while in Lisbon. We will be there for 4 or 5 days.

Thx in advance! I always receive great tips and advice from this board.

We haven't been to Lisbon yet, but we've had very good luck with recommendations from Rick Steves, the guy with the PBS travel show.

Some of his hints that have worked out for us are:

Pack light

Stay hydrated (esp. on the plane -- juice and water are better jet lag fighters than soda)

Try not to go to bed until a reasonable local bedtime the first day you arrive

Try to sleep on the plane, if you can (I can't, but DH and the kids can)

Attitude is everything (it's not a crisis; it's an adventure)

Wear a money belt (for your passport, tickets, credit cards, etc.) and keep one days' cash in your pocket (so you don't have to fumble with the money belt every time you make a purchase)

Let your bank/credit union/credit card company know you will be using your card there, so they don't block "suspicious" charges

We'd add:

Check current restrictions for the airport to save yourself time at security

Take any meds in their original, labeled pharmacy bottles (DH is diabetic, so he has lots)

That first day is best suited for light to moderate physical activities (walking tour, etc.). Jet lag makes you prone to dozing if you sit anywhere, and anything cerebral gets a bit fuzzy! :D

Well, don't try to drive in the city unless you get some *really good directions. It may take you 6 hours to find your hotel. Especially don't do this with a baby with you. Of course, with a GPS this may not be an issue. :001_smile: Take public transport.

Enjoy the city - it is beautiful. I don't have any specific recommendations (except the monuments along the water) as we were only there a few days & just tried to take it all in rather than see specific things. Oh, do walk through the "old city" that survived the earthquake.