Menu

Question about SM Placement test and skipping ahead

Halcyon

My older, who is currently in SM4A, took the end-of-course placement test for 4A (the standards one) from the Singapore website today. He got only a few questions wrong, and in particular "areas". For example, he missed a few on section 17--he hasn't learned mixed fractions yet and seems to have forgotten how to add fractions with different denominators. He also missed one of the shape questions (rhombus).

WWYD? Would you just continue marching through 4A? (we're doing TB, WB if it's a tougher section, IP and CWP). The questions in the IP are certainly harder than those on the exam, so there's that. Or would you just focus on areas of weakness in 4A and move on to 4B?

Thanks for advice. I am generally a proponent of "not-faster, but deeper" but wondering what others think.

My older, who is currently in SM4A, took the end-of-course placement test for 4A (the standards one) from the Singapore website today. He got only a few questions wrong, and in particular "areas". For example, he missed a few on section 17--he hasn't learned mixed fractions yet and seems to have forgotten how to add fractions with different denominators. He also missed one of the shape questions (rhombus).

WWYD? Would you just continue marching through 4A? (we're doing TB, WB if it's a tougher section, IP and CWP). The questions in the IP are certainly harder than those on the exam, so there's that. Or would you just focus on areas of weakness in 4A and move on to 4B?

Thanks for advice. I am generally a proponent of "not-faster, but deeper" but wondering what others think.

Don't worry about the shape question he missed. Has he mastered equivalent fractions? Singapore 5A does a decent job of teaching fractions. (It is not addressed in 4B). Dd learned it already so this is review. MM Fractions 1 or Key To Fractions book 4 would be quick, easy, cheap supplements if you feel it's necessary for a fractions camp (we did that all summer). Singapore 5A will address it (over the course of 10 or so pages) but quickly jumps into mult/div fractions. Adding/subtracting unlike fractions is super fun. He'll love it.

Just a few thoughts. HTH! :)

Yes, but you'll need to focus hard & heavy on fractions for a couple months in addition to the decimals instruction in 4B. Very doable. :)

Thanks. I think this is what we'll do. We'll also continue with the IP and CWP for 4a (although I think CWP is a whole year?) Thanks.