Menu

Dog advice needed: kittens or bunnies?

We have one dog, we are not really dog people and do not plan to get another dog. He is a greyhound/bull terrier mix, about 11 years old, prefers to be outside and is very lonely. I am afraid he is getting depressed.

We had three chickens that he bonded with when they were chicks and he seemed happy when they were there. We gave the chickens to some friends because dh was concerned about the neighbors.

I need to get him a pet for companionship. Even though this would be his pet not mine the pet would receive warm, clean shelter, healthy food and quality vet care.

My plan is to get either two kittens or two bunnies (as young as possible).

I would raise them next to his kennel (like I did with the chicks). They would free range (not caged) outdoor, backyard pets.

I already have two indoor/outdoor cats (they do not hang out with the dog) and a rat. We are experienced with a wide variety of pets.

I am seeking advice. Anyone btdt? Feel free to poke holes in this plan.

We need help soon the dog is miserable and has started obnoxious barking behaviours and compulsive licking on one leg. He had done this to a lesser extent before the chickens.

I'm thinking if you get two kittens or two bunnies, they are going to bond with each other and ignore your dog. Is there any way you can give him more attention? If the answer is no, I would not recommend another animal at all. I think he does sound lonely and depressed, and he would probably be super happy to have more time with his people. :001_smile:

BTW, have you ruled out parasites? I'm just wondering if there is a medical reason he is licking. Fleas maybe? That can definitely be a stress/nerves thing though.

I'm thinking if you get two kittens or two bunnies, they are going to bond with each other and ignore your dog. Is there any way you can give him more attention? If the answer is no, I would not recommend another animal at all. I think he does sound lonely and depressed, and he would probably be super happy to have more time with his people. :001_smile:

BTW, have you ruled out parasites? I'm just wondering if there is a medical reason he is licking. Fleas maybe? That can definitely be a stress/nerves thing though.

I have not ruled out parasites yet, he has an upcoming vet visit. The licking behaviour looks like a repeat of a nervous behaviour he used to have. Back then the vet said it was a compulsive habit and he needed more stimulation. He was dd20s pet, she is away. Dd17 is not interested in dogs.

I bring him in to hang out with me in the afternoons, but apparently I am super boring to dogs. :glare: He gets restless and fidgets and then flops over and sleeps. He also comes in after dinner and hangs out in the family room, but he refuses to stay inside at night.

I think he needs companionship. We don't want another dog. He really liked the chickens. It is hard to describe but not only did he play with them but I got the feeling that being a lifestock guardian made him feel useful. I'm not a dog expert, but it was like he was proud to have a job to do.

I am leaning towards the bunnies because kittens would climb the fence and wander off. The bunnies would be his to watch over.

I appreciate your response. Especially the part about the bunnies bonding with each other not him. I will also try taking him on walks, I need the exercise and that would not be as boring as being inside seems to be.

Is he a working breed? If so he may need a job to keep him stimulated. The bunnies might give him something to protect and/or herd. If not I would go with a kitten over a bunny. I think it would play with him more. I agree the kittens might bond with each other if you got 2, though, so I would only get one.

Is he a working breed? If so he may need a job to keep him stimulated. The bunnies might give him something to protect and/or herd. If not I would go with a kitten over a bunny. I think it would play with him more. I agree the kittens might bond with each other if you got 2, though, so I would only get one.

I'm not sure what breed he is, we adopted him from animal control. He is medium sized (about 50 lbs) short haired, long legs, lean body. He looks mostly greyhound with a little bull terrier in the face and shoulders. He is super sweet.

Bunnies are instinctively terrified of dogs. Having said that, I've also heard stories of dogs and bunnies who are great friends.....but I'm still not sure I would go that route.

Yeah, that is the part of the plan I am not sure about. Either way, kittens or bunnies, I will get them as young as possible and let him help me raise them. He watched over the chicks from the days when they still needed a heat lamp.

What about a goat? I have a working dog, a Border Collie. We adopted him at the age of two. He had clearly never been an indoor dog, and he still doesn't love to be indoors more than 2-3 hours at a time and never for the entire night. He has to have a job, and he LOVES to herd our goats. Goats make wonderful and easy pets. We raised ours on a bottle from the time they were 9 weeks old, and they are as tame as can be. They sit on our lap, just precious. Just a thought.

I had a free-range (w/in the fenced yard) rabbit who had no fear of our dog at all....when the dog was laying down, bunny would climb all over him, pull his ears etc. The dog was actually quite annoyed by the bunny and would finally bark at him and walk away....bunny would follow him and annoy him some more. No fear whatsoever. I don't if it makes a difference but this was a fluffy white rabbit with erect (not floppy) ears.

What about a goat? I have a working dog, a Border Collie. We adopted him at the age of two. He had clearly never been an indoor dog, and he still doesn't love to be indoors more than 2-3 hours at a time and never for the entire night. He has to have a job, and he LOVES to herd our goats. Goats make wonderful and easy pets. We raised ours on a bottle from the time they were 9 weeks old, and they are as tame as can be. They sit on our lap, just precious. Just a thought.

And miniature goats don't get too terrribly large. Also the whethers(fixed males) are generally pretty cheap.