Menu

Snake Dog Recommendation request

BethG

A friend's 2 Anatolians cornered a cottonmouth yesterday. One kept it penned in a corner while the other ran back and forth from there to the house barking to get her attention until her dh went out and killed it. She has them as livestock guardians though, they wouldn't be happy without a job to do.

I actually askecd this question a few weeks ago. I ended up deciding to get an aussie (I wanted a herding type). For the snakes I am getting cats and chickens (maybe a couple geese)

Terrier types have an instinct to hunt small game, so I have heard they are good. I really wrestle with the risk to the animal.

We had a dachshund when I was a child with a very strong hunting instinct who would go down and investigate any burrow she found. My dad always worried that she would encounter a snake and it would bite her. However the dachshunds that I have now and have had in the past as an adult have not had nearly as much of a hunting instinct so you might have to search for a "working" line rather than show ancestry. And I am not certain that anyone hunts with dachshunds anymore.

I think rather than dog protection (which I am going to assume is dog-specific more than breed specific, though some breeds may be better at it), you teach your kids snake protection--especially good footwear, knowing where they are most likely to encounter snakes on the property, taking proper precautions. We have a ton of copperheads on our property. Some are docile and others quite aggressive. (I've seen them stand up in strike position waiting for you to walk into them from several yards away--others just lie there and don't really move. I had one son step on one that just moved a little under his foot--but he's kind of charmed) We see them most often at twilight or evening and I never get out of the car at night without a flashlight.

If you have real little kids, I'd consider restricting them to areas that you have groomed to remove all the typical feeding/hiding places--no brush piles, leaf litter, etc. Not fool-proof but it helps.