Menu

Proud Mommy Alert! :)

ClassicMom

I pulled my autistic 8yo out of PS at the end of the year this year. He was reading at a 1.5 reading level. I just tested him this week and he is reading at a 2.7 reading level!! I re-tested using two more different tests just to make sure I was getting accurate results and they have come up the same on all three tests!!

I'm so proud of my son of all of his hard work and I'm just thrilled to know that I did the right thing this year! :D

I used Phonics Pathways over the summer and then switched to AAS in August. He picks any 5 books a week that he wants to read (usually Magic Tree House) even if it is above his reading level, and just soaks those up. I believe not being forced to read something that he didn't like was really a disadvantage to him. I also choose one book a week that is at his reading level and we read it every day, going over the words and breaking down the ones that he has trouble with.

All of this has really helped not only improve his reading levels but also his self-confidence as a reader.