Menu

Learning Cursive on the iPad2??

Amie

I am looking for ways to utilize our iPad as I teach handwriting (we'll be starting with cursive). I've seen some great-looking art/drawing apps, but I'm a little lost. I don't need anything super fancy or complicated. My son likes to play on the travel-size magnadoodle, so I'm thinking finger tracing on the iPad would be great...kind of like a slate, but using your finger...or anything else you can suggest. :bigear: Any ideas or recommendations?

(Ha, if Charlotte Mason could see us now! :lol:)

We use one called ABC Cursive Writing by Deep Pocket series. It is very simple, doing one letter / number at a time, and you can trace over with your finger (or stylus). Because it does one letter at a time, it is good for beginners and each letter is large and friendly-looking. :D The downside is it does not allow practice connecting letters together (unless go you to free writing in 'doodle board' mode)--I have yet to find one that does this that I like. I think this app was 99 cents.

Thank you, ladies! These sound great--can't wait to go look at them. And I don't think the inability to join the letters would be a problem. We are just beginning the cursive strokes in the air and in a salt tray. I just want to get that muscle memory down pat and then hopefully move on to paper.

I think I might have to get this one!!

http://bit.ly/ntyXqc

ABD Joined up - it's phonics integrated cursive with advancing levels of difficulty, so it starts with single letters, but moves onto joined letters and then words!

That one looks very interesting, but it is not regular cursive--it's the joined letters but with "S" looking just like a print "s" and "b" looking just a like a print "d" etc.

ETA: I'm downloading "ABC Easy Writer - Cursive" for free.

Edited by LittleIzumi

That one looks very interesting, but it is not regular cursive--it's the joined letters but with "S" looking just like a print "s" and "b" looking just a like a print "d" etc.

You're right - check out the 'f' - pretty different, a bit more on the italics side of things I think, but rounder.

I have to admit that I'm still intrigued...

Yeah, I am planning to do a very traditional (old-fashioned?) cursive, so that first one won't work for us either. I am downloading the ABC Easy Writer as well and I just downloaded one of the free doodle apps.

Thanks again, everyone!

Coming out of lurker land to say thanks for the Zaner-Bloser link! My cursive-phobic son has reluctantly agreed to try it since that is what they are using at his private school.

Welcome! So nice of you to join us...or let us know that you have! (:lol:)

Just an FYI, ABC Joined Up does have a settings option on the first screen that lets you choose some alternate letter shapes, some of which are closer to traditional cursive. I'm playing around with it, and the teaching method is pretty neat.

Thanks! I should go take a closer look at it.

Here's what the educator who designed the ABC Joined Up app told me Amie! :)

"We will mention that alternative letter shapes are available in the app

description/blurb. The alternative letters are those shapes that are

commonly used in the UK. Based on feedback from Canada and the USA we plan

to include additional alternative letter shapes in the next release."

If they do that, I think this would be the BEST app for learning cursive that I've seen so far.

Here's what the educator who designed the ABC Joined Up app told me Amie! :)

"We will mention that alternative letter shapes are available in the app

description/blurb. The alternative letters are those shapes that are

commonly used in the UK. Based on feedback from Canada and the USA we plan

to include additional alternative letter shapes in the next release."

If they do that, I think this would be the BEST app for learning cursive that I've seen so far.

Thanks for the update, Jennifer!

ETA: P.S. I'm following your facebook App page now too. ; )

Edited by Amie

• 4 months later...

We've been using a free app called Cursive Practice by Brainstop. It does have a few words and a sentence or two to allow practice of joining letters. It is also what I think of as "regular" cursive, the formation of the letters being the style I learned in school and that which I generally see other people using.