Menu

What do you believe about worldviews?

Please mark ALL statements below with which you agree (Multiselect Poll):  

1. 1. Please mark ALL statements below with which you agree (Multiselect Poll):

• All worldviews are equally valid. (IOW, a person's worldview is their reality.)
    • No one's worldview is correct. (Or it is impossible for any person to know enough.)
    • Exactly ONE worldview is correct. (All others are incorrect.)
    • Either exactly ONE worldview is correct or exactly NONE are.
    • Not all worldviews are correct, but either some, one or none are.
    • It is impossible to *prove* that any one worldview is correct.
    • It is POSSIBLE to *prove* that any one worldview is correct.
    • It is impossible to *prove* that any one worldview is INCORRECT.
    • It is POSSIBLE to *prove* that any one worldview is INCORRECT.
    • Other. (Click if you don't agree with any of the above.)

No. Disagrement isn't the same as marginalization, but you didn't say you disagreed. You make contradictory statements by saying that you believe your worldview is the One Truth, and yet also seeming to say that you think all worldviews are valid. There is a logical flaw in the 2 statements taken together.

FWIW, I don't necessarily think your worldview, or anyone's worldview, is wrong. All have an equal chance of being valid or invalid. I do not pretend to know which is valid or invalid, though. Saying that one is the Truth, however, is marginalizing all the other possibilities.

Well, the second post was a clarification of the first. The first post was stronger because of the words in the poll. I took the OP as meaning talking about Truth because of the words "correct and incorrect". But then as I looked at the replies from some other posters I agreed with them about everyone having a valid say in what their own worldview is. I mean, I can't exactly say "No, your worldview isn't really your own worldview". And since the word "worldview" means the framework in which I view reality then yes, everyone has their own framework.

But whether that framework reflects a greater Reality or not, that is where we would disagree. I'm assuming that you would say that there is no greater Reality to reflect, while I would say that there is. But the inclusion of a greater Reality or not, would by definition be a characteristic of some worldviews but not others.

... I wasn't aware of "worldview" used in that way until I started homeschooling, but it's a term I was familiar with from reading theory in college (although not used in exactly the same way).

:iagree:

Prior to homeschooling, I had only encountered the term in philosophical or sociological readings. Eventually I realized that it is a term co-opted by certain conservative fundamentalist Protestants and used as codespeak to refer to certain exclusionary religious and sociopolitical opinions and generally involves capitalizing some common nouns.

In my culture, the term "courting" was used as a synonym for spending time with the gender of one's romantic choice. It was not until I started homeschooling that I learned of its conservative Christian meaning.

I only learned the Christian meaning of the word "witness" because of a funny miscommunication between a student and me as their teacher.

I was not familiar with word "purity" used as indicator of one's sexual conduct prior to homeschooling.

Prior to homeschooling, I had only encountered the term in philosophical or sociological readings. Eventually I realized that it is a term co-opted by certain conservative fundamentalist Protestants and used as codespeak to refer to certain exclusionary religious and sociopolitical opinions and generally involves capitalizing some common nouns.

I was initially really excited when I saw "worldview" classes. I figured they'd be classes exploring various worldviews and encouraging students to consider ways of looking at the world other than their own. Then I realized that they were really "We're going to try to convince you that the beliefs your parents want you to have are completely true and that any other way of looking at the world is invalid, immoral, and dangerous" classes.

I think it is a fundamental quality of human nature that we each have a unique worldview. We may share part of that worldview with others, but unlikely all facets and nuances.

I don't like to think in terms of right and wrong worldviews. We need to go beyond that. That doesn't mean I won't back up aspects of my worldview vehemently and disagree with aspects yours- but I cannot dismiss the whole of the way you see the world. We are far too complex, unique individuals, with unique lives and perspectives, to do that.