Menu

National Spelling Bee -- semi-finals and finals are tomorrow--Friday May 30!

OK, so I'm a big spelling geek. I love to watch this and play along. And root for the homeschoolers. Don't forget to set your DVR!

Broadcast Times:

The Semifinals air live on ESPN from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, May 30.

The Championship Finals air live on ABC from 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, May 30.

Check your local listings for other time zones.

A big "Woohoo!" to homeschooling, homeboy, semifinalist, Matthew Evans, #162, from Albuquerque. And, best wishes to all the contestants! They've all worked so hard! How exciting!

I wish I could watch, but we're going to be at a retreat center, and there are no televisions anywhere.

Maybe I could sneak one in?

I think that's what he did... he spelled one right, his opponent went next and spelled his word wrong. So, all he had to do was come back in the next round and spell one correctly. If his opponent had gone first and missed, then he would have spelled two backt to back (one in the same round that the opponent missed, to win the round, and one in the *next* round to secure the win).

I think that's what he did... he spelled one right, his opponent went next and spelled his word wrong. So, all he had to do was come back in the next round and spell one correctly. If his opponent had gone first and missed, then he would have spelled two backt to back (one in the same round that the opponent missed, to win the round, and one in the *next* round to secure the win).

Ah...gotcha! Thanks for spelling it out for me! :D

:lol::lol:

Were there any homeschoolers in the finals this year? I watched part of it last night, but didn't pick up any information about homeschooled students, although Tia Thomas seemed to have a mom who taught her spelling... just wondering since in previous years the homeschoolers have done very well.

Tia Thomas was the only homeschooler in the finals--she came in third. Matthew Evans was the favorite going in, aslo homeschooled, and he was surprisingly out a couple of rounds before the finals.

I was pretty impressed by the homeschool showing, though. There were at least 4 homeschoolers in the final 24--and we're certainly not 1/5 of students.