Menu

Does this sound like croup?

Tonia

This kid never gets sick beyond the occasional winter cold, so when she finally does get sick it always freaks me out!

Last night before bed dd (age 7) complained of a scratchy throat. Around 3:30 she woke up with a horrible sounding cough and wheezing for breath. We took her outside and that seemed to help with her breathing. She still sounded sort of wheezy for awhile but when she went back to bed her breathing sounds were almost normal. Now she feels fine - her voice is hoarse and when she coughs it has a "productive" sound to it. Does she have croup? Should I expect another episode tonight? Should I call the doctor? I was planning to call last night but now she seems fine.

Could very well be. She is a bit old for it though, but perhaps if she is small she could still have issues with it. My kids have gone through croup twice and there really is no treatment for it unless they get really bad because it is caused by a strain of the flu. I would get a humidifier going and just repeat what you did last night if there is a problem again tonight. My 3rd got croup pretty bad when she was 2 months old and I even took her to the ER which we waited at for over 3 hrs before being seen by a jerk Dr. that told me she had a cold. He didn't even mention croup. I ended up taking her to our regular Dr. a few days later.

Yes, it sounds like croup. It flares at night when the body's cortisol levels decrease during sleep. I would be on the watch for it again tonight, and maybe one more after this, just in case.

Our ped gave us a list of signs to look for to recognize when a trip to the emergency room was warranted. I can't remember the details now, but you could call your ped office if you'd like to know more. In the ER my then 9 month old was given a steroid shot to bring down the inflammation of the airway. I don't like my kids to take steroids, generally speaking, but... breathing is not optional.

You might want to all have a good afternoon nap, just in case.

Edited by AuntieM