Menu

CWP vs. Math Olympiad book

veggiegal

I'm looking to supplement our math program with more challenging word problems, and am wondering about two resources: Singapore's Challenging Word Problems series and the Math Olympiad book from Art of Problem Solving. Anyone out there familiar with both and able to compare them? A couple things I am wondering:

1) Do you have to use Singapore's 'bar method' to solve their problems, or do they teach a variety of strategies?

2) Does the Math Olympiad book teach problem solving strategies explicitly, or is it only a collection of questions/problems with solutions? If the latter, are the solutions given via more than one method/strategy?

And lastly, if there are other good word problem resources out there that you think I should be considering instead, please let me know. My older, DS9, is a very bright boy when it comes to logic / reasoning / math concepts, but weaker on computation and speed. So I am looking for challenging problems that will keep him engaged (and build his computation skills as a by-product) rather than more of a 'drill' approach to problem solving--i.e., here's this type of fraction word problem, now do 20 more. TIA!

This is just a thought, and may not be what you have in mind. There are many beginning algebra books in the public domain at Google books to download for free. Some of them even have the solution keys, though granted, not too many. Even still, they would be excellent resources for challenging word problems.

I have taught setting up problems as an equation since Year 1 in MEP, so we don't use the bar method. You could use either style for the problems found in public domain, and save yourself the expense of buying something you don't like.

George Wentworth's arithmetic books have many word problems, but I have not found a solution text.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

1) Do you have to use Singapore's 'bar method' to solve their problems, or do they teach a variety of strategies?

There are usually a couple of example problems showing how to set up bar diagrams for similar problems to each section. Of course you can do them any way you like, I guess.

2) Does the Math Olympiad book teach problem solving strategies explicitly, or is it only a collection of questions/problems with solutions? If the latter, are the solutions given via more than one method/strategy?

The latter. There is a section where you can look up a hint for your problem. They often show more than one solution in the solutions section.

• 3 weeks later...

We use singapore and I supplement with the Math Olympiad practice tests. IMO, these cover very different aspects of math. SM teaches the standard stuff: how to do the standard operations, calculate areas, handle fractions, etc.

I use the Math Olympiad books specifically to prepare my kids for MOEMS. These are challenging problems that do not require much of the computation that one learns in SM. They are more like brainteasers. Scattered here and there are some pre-algebra questions, but their solutions do not use the bar method.

I think it's important to learn both problem solving approaches, but I don't think there is much overlap. Good luck!

--Vida

We use CWP, but I have also found Math Olympiad problems via google--just google "math olympiad 4th grade" or what have you, and there are a wealth of sample pdfs, exams and questions out there so you can at least see what they're like before buying. My son is like your son-very good with concepts and word problems but needs work on speed. We're using xtramath.com which he doesn't particularly like, but I told him getting faster will help him when it comes to trickier problems. We have also used some of the "classic" algebra problems on Dr. Math, which are quite doable using Singapore methods.

I am sure we will eventually order the Math Olympiad problem book though ;)

ETA: does anyone have a link to the free algebra books on google, preferably the ones with solutions?

ETA2: Found one that looks interesting, with answer key.

Edited by Halcyon