Menu

Geometry question re: memorizing definitions

MGK

My opinion is that as the student does proof after proof after proof, they will naturally memorize them on their own. No extra work needed. I found it true in my case way back in the dark ages and in my oldest dd, the only one who has taken geometry. (I even re-memorized them while she was doing proofs.)

Do all the definitions need to be memorized in geometry? How about the postulates? The text indicated that students could look up these things in the back of the book, but then we encountered definitions on the test.

Thanks in advance!

My oldest made index cards and I allowed her to use those for tests. I did not allow use of the textbook.

Blessings,

Maybe you've decided already.

It seemed like during a single chapter, the goal of the text author was to get those kids to know those particular postulates & definitions inside & out, and know them from memory just because they "make sense" in context. So by the test, my son had to know them from memory (we used Jacobs and then TT).

Then, the next chapter would focus on others & the earlier ones would slip from memory, but he could use his list for the classwork, and they would rarely be on the test unless there was forewarning within the chapter.

Julie