Menu

Roku for $15 off and free shipping

DawnM

Dawn, one question I can't seem to get answered is what shows you can watch. Is it only Netflix streaming and the like? We do have some shows on Discovery or BBCA that we like. I'd be willing to give up a lot of the shows I watch on network TV I could live without.

But what about sports? I was able to get NFL Sunday Ticket for free for my dh and he is THRILLED! Could he even get any sports if we have Roku?

If you would rather watch through the Wii and you only need one TV hooked up, then you are fine.

We don't even bother watching through the Wii as it only offers 480p quality, which looks really bad on a larger HD TV.

Roku offers 1080p for those shows/movies that stream in 1080p. It also offers HuluPlu streaming, which many of the other devices don't offer.

Dawn

So probably unnecessary since we have a wii?

Found this explanation on the internet:

The Roku Digital Video Player is a media player. It doesn't _provide_ an internet connection. However, it does _require_ an internet connection.

The Roku is basically a small box that is simple to connect to your television. You could think of it a little like a cable box. It allows you to tune in "channels" that are streamed over your internet connection. The channels aren't like your cable tv, though. They are usually specific internet services like Vimeo, Netflix Instant Watch, Amazon Video on Demand, Pandora, etc. With some of the "channels" you need an account (Amazon, Netflix) with that service in order to access it on the Roku.

The Roku doesn't store any movies or music. It just plays streaming media. That said, there are a number of projects that people are working on that will allow you stream music or video stored on another computer in your house to the Roku. I haven't done this yet, but it's possible.

Everything you can watch or do on the Roku is something you can already do with your computer. The Roku is just an easy way of getting it on your TV and provides a simplified experience (for example you can select and control your Netflix and Amazon movies via a remote control.

My family has a Roku and we really enjoy it. On weekends we often find a show on Netflix to watch as a family. My wife and I sometimes watch a television series episode together when we don't want to commit to an entire movie.

By looking through the Roku forums, you can even find a way to watch YouTube videos which can be a fun way to kill some time with a group of people.

The Roku will work with either an ethernet cable connection or via a wireless connection. The other thing to note is that your Roku channels and services will be tied to your Roku box but not to your internet connection. This means that you could take your Roku box over to a friends house to watch movies using their internet connection or possibly even while traveling if you have access to a fast enough internet connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it took me a bit to figure it out as well.

Click on the LINK, do not go directly to the Roku site.

Then put what you want in the cart, click to the next page, click "no thanks" if you don't want to buy cables, and then on the NEXT page it will ask you for a coupon code.....put the code in there and click "apply coupon" before continuing to billing.

Dawn

Does anyone know where the code box is?