Menu

Yoo hoo, Christians! Need opinions :)

Have any of you seen any of the Library of Early Christianity series? Volume one here: http://www.amazon.com/Gods-One-Library-Early-Christianity/dp/0664250114/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212094202&sr=8-3

I'm not Christian, but want to teach religion thoroughly. I'm looking for resources that delve into the content and history of the Bible and Christianity. I'm hoping this series may be the answer to our future rhetoric stage Christianity studies. I feel kind of silly asking about sort of secular religious material, but someone snored so I've been up since 1.30am. It's now 7.15, so I think silliness is understandable, and ought to be forgiven.

;)

Rosie

I've been reading it because I want the history aspect of Christianity. It's called the Handbook to the History of Christianity by Jonathan Hill and put out by Zondervan publishing. It starts with the birth of Jesus and follows it all the way to present times. I'm a christian but this book is written very matter of factly without the christian doctrine, just the facts. It may be a good place to start and I have found Zondervan books to be very good. I bought mine at Christian Book Clearinghouse.

I've been reading it because I want the history aspect of Christianity. It's called the Handbook to the History of Christianity by Jonathan Hill and put out by Zondervan publishing.

Is it the same book as: http://www.amazon.com/History-Christianity-Lion-Handbooks/dp/0745951562/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212099478&sr=8-2 or not? I suspect it is, but it's not clear. Another for my amazon wish list. Thank you!

You can't recommend anything for logic stage, can you? ;) For that, I'm looking for something that focuses on each book of the Bible, who wrote it, who to, that sort of thing.

:)

Rosie

It doesn't look like my book. Mine is white and the one on amazon doesn't look like a Zondervan. They usually have it in bold somewhere near the title. As for the thing you need it sounds like you might just try buying a good study bible. I also found a good one of those at our convention from the same seller as the history book. It's called The Open Bible. It has a very good introduction covering the questions you mention and then some at the beginning of each book to the bible.

Rosie, I really hope Kelly in TN will chime in, because she recommended a book about the Bible that has been used in public schools. I believe her dd used it and I know she really liked it. Obviously it is written from a secular pov but gets praise from Christians for being very accurate. I wish I could remember the name of it! Maybe if she doesn't answer you could PM her.

Your suggestions have been really helpful. Now I just need to find equivelent resources for the other religions... I'm kind of curious how our studies of the old testament will turn out. The differences between the Christian and Jewish interpretations. I haven't looked any further than a quick flick through the picture bibles, and even they word things slightly differently. Interesting, I think.

:)

Rosie

dumb, but in the religious section of many bookstores (here, Barnes & Noble) you will find a number of the "Dummie's Guide to Judaism" or "Dummie's Guide to World Religion" or "Dummie's Guide to Christianity." (Now, I'm not saying you're a dummy---not at all!) But, those books might be useful to you as you discuss these topics with your dc.

Here's a few of my (clumsy) links: (will someone please teach me how to do these right???)--

These three actually cover different topics within Christianity:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Dummie%27s+Guide+to+CHristianity

I know there are many more on this topic, but I can't seem to find them under either Barnes & Noble or Amazon, which might be more accessible for you. At any rate, I know that they're out there.

Good luck!

You might also look at The Teaching Company courses. I haven't seen their Bibical ones, or their other religious ones, but the TTC ones I have are very good. My understanding is that the religious courses are taught from a historical perspective and not a religious perspective.

You might also look at The Teaching Company courses. I haven't seen their Bibical ones, or their other religious ones, but the TTC ones I have are very good. My understanding is that the religious courses are taught from a historical perspective and not a religious perspective.

I'd be interested to know which courses you have used. I feel a bit uncomfortable with them, having pointed out a glaring inaccuracy in one of their blurbs, and receiving no reply. The religious courses do look good, but expensive!!

Rosie

I've been wondering about this book myself. The web site contains rave reviews, of course. Other reviews I've read praise its content but said the binding and paper are cheap. I've got a question posted about this book. I'm hoping someone has looked at it.

I'd be interested to know which courses you have used. I feel a bit uncomfortable with them, having pointed out a glaring inaccuracy in one of their blurbs, and receiving no reply. The religious courses do look good, but expensive!!

Rosie

My ds loves the Great Pharoahs course and enjoys the Ancient Battles. I've enjoyed the Shakespeare courses and some day I'll finish the Joy of Science. My dh loves How to Listen to Great Music and enjoys the Middle Ages courses.

I personally dislike the TC tapes by Bart Erdman (I may have the name wrong). He is not a Christian, and does not come from an orthodox perspective, so I feel he cannot give an accurate portrait of the religion. I know you are trying to do the same thing (give an accurate portrait of a religion you don't hold as your own), but I would assume you'd want to use resources that take belief into account. I, for example, have taught ds about Islam, but I used some resources by believers in Islam, because I felt there'd be a missing component if I didn't. So, I'm just saying that I thought the TC tapes on the New Testament were lacking for that reason.

If you can afford it, Get Thomas Madden's wonderful lecture series From Jesus to Christianity. It's available form Modern Scholar. http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=scholar.show_course&course_id=66

Madden teaches history at a secular university. My kids and I are just finishing up Sonlight 200 history and Bible (for the most part, we didn't do the literature) which I found a wonderful religion course for us. We are Christian. Madden's course was a good supplement. He seems sympathetic to Christianity, but without proselytizing or assuming any belief. I have to say that Sonlight, while unashamedly Christian, works hard to give a balanced view of faith issues as well. But I think the Madden would be perfect for you.