Menu

Raleigh/Durham area...school options...homeschooing/Christian school

We are going to be moving to Raleigh sometime after Christmas...very up in the air at the moment of the time but my husband has to report to job at first of December.

Does anyone have any input and info on homeschooling in Raleigh? We are going to homeschool in the spring(2012) and then find a Christian school if we can afford them to enroll the boys in. We have a sophmore and a freshman. I have been in contact with a friend who mentioned North Raleigh Christian Academy which seems really high to me but we currently live in a town population 16,000 and pay tuition of only approximately $4000 for both boys to attend a very good Christian school here.

I will arrive in Raleigh after Christmas and I have spoken to a friend who teaches homeschool students at New Life Camp and I'm going to check into availability of seats in second semester for the boys.

I'm interested in speaking with anyone who can provide info on local public schools around the Raleigh area...as well as input about private schools.

We want to live in an area where we have a house with at least an acre or more...not a subdivision with postage-size stamp lots.

please contact me if you have any info or advice regarding schools/areas to look for homes.

We currently homeschool and there are loads of co ops in the area. There is a yahoo group called spiceline that you can join and there will be more information than you will be able to absorb. People are very willing to tell you about co ops specific to the area where you choose to move. Raleigh has so many options...there is Cary, Holly Springs, Apex, Clayton, Fuquay Varina, and many more surrounding suburbs that are great places to live and raise a family.

Here is a link to the yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spice-line/

There are many Christian schools as well.

Here are a few links.

http://www.wakechristianacademy.com/

Wake Christian is popular and has a more traditional/textbook approach.

http://carychristianschool.org/

Cary Christian is a classical school.

http://www.gracechristian.net/section/about-grace

I don't know much about Grace Christian. I have several friends that have children who attend and they love it.

There are also many charter schools in the area. I have heard great things about them as well. Those of course are tax payer supported and will cost you nothing.

There are other schools in the north Raleigh area that I am not familiar with. We live in Fuquay Varina so those are a little far from where I am.

Best wishes to you and your family. Welcome to NC. I hope you love it.

Edited by tmulcahy
spelling

We live in Fuquay Varina, NC and moved here a little over a year ago. It's a very easy state to homeschool in and there are co-ops and support groups everywhere. I'm in a support group at Pleasent Grove Baptist Church in Fuquay Varina and a lot of the moms go to a big co-op here in town. We also have some members of our church that go to North Raleigh Christian Academy.

The public schools in Cary, Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina all seem very nice and I do know teens in all of them (from our church). If you have any direct questions on any of them I can ask around for you. Just message me.

We moved to Raleigh from VA about 3 months ago. Private schools were not an option for us. We do have a niece and a nephew at Ravenscroft and they love it. As Therese mentioned, Spiceline is a tremendous resource and there are many co-ops in the area. We opted to go with Classical Conversations and are very pleased. Feel free to PM me, if that would be helpful.

Just to warn you - you won't get credit in high school for homeschool work in a public school. It's all or nothing in NC (though technically it is up to each principal.) I would call and ask the private schools. Some charter schools will give credit for homeschool work.

If they are in school now and you plan for them to go to school next year, I would *not* homeschool for the spring. I only say this because they are in high school.

Welcome to the area!

ETA: Another option I just thought of - talk to their current school about finishing out the year through correspondance. If they finish the books they are using now, then maybe the school will give them the credits and next fall won't be an issue.

Edited by Renee in FL

What you mentioned has been a concern to both my husband and myself. We are only considering homeschooling as we don't know exactly when we are going to be able to move. Husband will arrive in December but we want kids to finish this semester here and we have even tossed around the idea of the boys and I staying here next spring(but that is only the last resort!) This is such lousy timing as I don't see how we can pull it together to get them enrolled in spring at beginning of semester. We will stay in temporary quarters and then possibly rent until we find a house and so we are not even sure what area of Raleigh we would be interested in residing in. It is incredibly difficult to try to make decisions when so much is in the air. thanks for the points to think about. I hadn't thought about the correspondence. I was just going to see if I could purchase the textbooks and use them for next spring.

Just to warn you - you won't get credit in high school for homeschool work in a public school. It's all or nothing in NC (though technically it is up to each principal.) I would call and ask the private schools. Some charter schools will give credit for homeschool work.

If they are in school now and you plan for them to go to school next year, I would *not* homeschool for the spring. I only say this because they are in high school.

Welcome to the area!

ETA: Another option I just thought of - talk to their current school about finishing out the year through correspondance. If they finish the books they are using now, then maybe the school will give them the credits and next fall won't be an issue.

For those of you who know someone who attends or has any personal insight about Wake Christian Academy, Grace Christian and North Raleigh Christian Academy, would you please care to share with me?

We are leaning more towards private Christian school as that is what they attend now. The school is quite small-just over 100 students(9th-12th). I realize that the size of classes will undoubtedly be larger but I would love for it to have a close-knit and family atmosphere such as the school they are attending now.

Also, do you have any input regarding financial assistance with these schools? I have seen on NRCA website that you can apply for it- we will have 2 students and at approx. $7000 plus additional school expenses per student....ouch!

Now, I'm really stressed. Thought I had it all figured out for spring going the homeschool route but now questioning whether I should get my butt in gear and try to see if we can apply for seat in spring semester if at all feasible.

We have heard that Cary has homes with small lots. We currently live on a lake outside of our town of 16,000 on about 3 acres. We don't have to have lake property or even 3 acres but we would prefer to have at least an acre lot and possibly wooded area. We love being outdoors with our 2 Labs, and have a fire pit we enjoy. We are really looking for a small-town feel and realize that may not be possible in an area like Raleigh. Our boys told us last night that they don't want to live IN the city and go to a huge school. That is why we are trying to find a small town with good school or especially a Christian school. I have not heard of this particular school you mentioned. A friend mentioned NRCA but she also lives north of Raleigh. We don't have a clue where we are going to look for a home and my husband's office will be on west side of Raleigh. Can you comment on the atmosphere of this school?

There is this school too. http://www.neusechristianacademy.com/Home_Page.html

I've lived in both Cary and Wake Forest. Both are very nice places to live. Cary has the best public parks! Wake Forest is more quaint...it's a seminary town so it's heavily influenced by that.

That entire area is HS friendly.