Menu

Wheeler's Spelling? Anyone using this?

kandty

Just ran across this and it has caught my interest. Questions? How do you use it? I am a printed out, hold in my hand kind of person . . . . how do I make this work from google books? I have looked at a few lessons (and I need to look more), but my kids need review, so how do you do that with this book? If you have any thing to share, thanks!

We enjoy it here. I like the varied lessons, ds willingly does them, and they teach different word skills. We are at Lesson 41 now. I just print, oh, 12 pages or so at a time. However, you can print out the whole book if you like. I find it compatible with my CM style philosophy, with the copywork, poems and dictation. It also reconciles my desire for a bit of actual rules and such. Great book.

I just started using it about 2 weeks ago, so I can't comment on the review, but I can help with printing. :) In Google Books, on the right side, there's an option to download as a PDF. Do that. Now to print it, I told it to print page 2 (title page of the PDF) by itself in "booklet" form on card stock, with the "booklet subset" set to "front side only" (my printer tried to auto-duplex the card stock when it was set to print both sides, even though it was just printing one page, and my printer jams if it tries to auto-duplex card stock). The booklet option is in the page scaling drop-down, on that first print screen. The "booklet subset" shows up when you select "booklet". Next, I printed pages 6-185 in booklet form on regular paper, with the "both sides" of the "booklet subset" selected, plus I selected auto-duplex in my printer settings for good measure. Not sure if I had to do that though. :)

Once it was all printed out, I used my Proclick to make holes and bind it into a book. Worked out great! DS can now have his spelling book wherever he needs it - white board, desk, whatever. We're mostly doing the lessons at the white board with dry erase crayons. He thinks that's fun.

I think this is it, yes? Or search for Wheeler's Elementary Speller.

That's it, but that seems to be a bad scanning, as some of the pages are unreadable. It's also a slightly different cover, but the text inside looks the same.

Here's the one on Google Books. Not sure where it would be on archive.org if you're outside the US.