Menu

Why do my kids only ask for things when I get rid of them?

The girls have had a Play-Doh ice cream making set for like 3 years. They haven't touched it in probably a year. It just sits there. They play with Play-Doh but never touch the ice cream making contraption. It's awkwardly shaped and wont fit anywhere so it's been sitting on the top of our dryer for years. Also, Play-Doh gets caked inside and it is impossible to fully clean out.

Well, last week I finally threw it into the trash. I hate clutter and that thing has been driving me nuts.

Today, the girls are playing with Play-Doh. As soon as I hand them their Play-Doh, DD7 says, "Where is that ice cream maker? I just saw it on the dryer last week."

:glare:

Seriously? You don't play with it for years and then some sort of 6th sense alerts you when it is no longer in the house?

Murphy's Law!

My parents used to -and still- do this with things I collect and leave around their house. Random things that eventually become a part of the landscape, and so are easier to ignore on a conscious level. Then once those things are moved, the subconscous perks up and notices it's gone and naturally then you want it back :D