Menu

Can someone walk me through how they use Khan Academy?

I'd like to start using Khan with my two older students - ds15 and dd12.

Have you found an effective way to do it, without signing in via facebook or a google account? They both do have gmail accounts - can I use those?

And - from the coach's site, is there a way to start them somewhere other than addition? To pick and choose activities? My ds15 is doing Alg. 2, dd12 prealgebra.

Thanks! I'm very interested - but - a little intimidated.

hi,

my homeschooled second-grader recently started using the khan academy. i really can't say enough good things about sal and the khan academy.

1. their gmail accounts are perfect for logging in.

2. you could choose any entry point, but i think the site would perennially prompt you to review the missed lessons. the site also has built-in review mechanisms, so even once you've been gained competency by correctly answering ten in a row, it will ask you to review periodically.

3. getting them to the right level, starting with addition 1, won't be time-consuming. (one hour?) the reasoning behind everyone starting with addition 1 is that in trials, a subset of those who didn't start with addition 1 got stuck, while those who had progressed incrementally never got stuck.

4. my advice: check out sal talking about his endeavor:

http://www.khanacademy.org/#khan-academy-related-talks-and-interviews

you'll realize there's nothing intimidating about the khan academy, just pure, delicious knowledge.

hilary and augie

Have you found an effective way to do it, without signing in via facebook or a google account? They both do have gmail accounts - can I use those?

And - from the coach's site, is there a way to start them somewhere other than addition?

I'm curious what I'm missing.

We just go to the Khan website and watch videos on topics we are interested in.

Is there something else over there that I'm missing, where you have to sign up or watch things in some kind of order?

Julie

My 11 and 14 year olds and I started using Khan a few weeks ago. I just picked an afternoon when we were feeling bored and introduced them to the site. They have netbooks and I had my laptop and we all logged on at once and signed up with our gmail accounts. I had them add me as coach. Then we went to the practice problem area and I told them to just start choosing topics suggested over on the side and working them as fast as they could (accurately) to see how many points and badges they could score and how far they could get. We were laughing and squealing and slapping our foreheads at some of our silly subtraction mistakes. We got through a lot of the early level stuff doing it that way. I told them that eventually they would get to concepts that were difficult and showed them how to do the video and how to use the scratch pad. I challenged them to keep progressing through it. Every once in a while I give them a day off of their normal math in exchange for an hour on Khan. But they also go and do it on their own time because it's fun and they're competing for badges and points. I didn't worry about the easy problems at first because that was what made it seem like a fun race. They eventually will settle into their own comfort zone of learning and will get more benefit out of it. But in the mean time, my 11 year old is reminded that she still needs to review those multiplication facts occasionally so she doesn't lose them and my 14 year old remembers to slow down and get the little details correct or he could lose that 10 streak and have to start the level all over. And I'm having fun doing it too. :D

hi,

my homeschooled second-grader recently started using the khan academy. i really can't say enough good things about sal and the khan academy.

you'll realize there's nothing intimidating about the khan academy, just pure, delicious knowledge.

hilary and augie

:iagree::iagree:

I watch a lesson on my iPad every time I put on makeup. :001_smile:

All my kids watch his math videos.

I just started using this myself last night to help me brush up on topics to help dd13. I've already earned a bunch of badges; it's a bit addictive! I started at the very beginning with the practice and flew through it. You only have to answer 10 correct to move on to the next module. As far as the videos you can just pick and choose what you want to watch. I started with the first in the Pre-Algebra group and then went and did some of the practice modules that corresponded...so you can jump into the practice anywhere you want.

I'm curious what I'm missing.

We just go to the Khan website and watch videos on topics we are interested in.

Is there something else over there that I'm missing, where you have to sign up or watch things in some kind of order?

Julie

My question too. . . I think I am missing something? Its not just click and watch - what exactly do you sign up for?

As the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) guidelines dictate one has to be thirteen for a gmail or facebook account, the only solution would be for them to use your account. (?)

(This system seems a bit clumsy.)

Will it work to have me as coach and two or more children as students all signed in with the same gmail account? Or do I have to open a couple of new accounts for me that will really be used by them? Do they actually need the email aspect or just the login info to use the Khan Academy? :confused:

There's one star on the dashboard that allows you to challenge all of the arithmetic in one test. I think there is another for prealgebra. There may be a few more. If you passed the arithmetic challenge it would color in all the earlier arithmetic stars.

another poster asked about separate e-mails. I think the separate e-mails are to save the dashboard progress for each student. On the dashboard the stars light up as you pass each topic. If all the students were on one email you would have to track every problem answered on the dashboard and manual progress each topic.

Hope this bit helps.

I think the separate e-mails are to save the dashboard progress for each student. On the dashboard the stars light up as you pass each topic. If all the students were on one email you would have to track every problem answered on the dashboard and manual progress each topic.

I guess I could track manually. Thanks for answering.

Teonei

Will it work to have me as coach and two or more children as students all signed in with the same gmail account? Or do I have to open a couple of new accounts for me that will really be used by them? Do they actually need the email aspect or just the login info to use the Khan Academy? :confused:

If you're worried about it, make yourself another couple gmail accounts and use them as your kids' accounts.