Menu

A screen for the front door, need ideas

I want to get a screen for the front door, but not a screen door. Something I can hang in the doorway that will keep the bugs out. A screen door is not an option because we rent and owner will not spend the money. We thought of buying one and have him install it but our door is 46" wide so any door we buy will be custom made and $$$. Any ideas?

We've considered getting one of these. I saw something similar advertised on television recently, so maybe check out those "as seen on tv" sites?

My Mom saw something like this on tv. But I said "no thanks" simple because it was advertised on tv - it sounded like one of those things that only work in commercials.

So - anyone have experience, does it work?

We've considered getting one of these. I saw something similar advertised on television recently, so maybe check out those "as seen on tv" sites?

We have used one of those. It worked well. Ours attached with sticky velcro. The one linked only fits up to a 36" door, but at $4.95 each, maybe you could just overlap two of them?

I want to get a screen for the front door, but not a screen door. Something I can hang in the doorway that will keep the bugs out. A screen door is not an option because we rent and owner will not spend the money. We thought of buying one and have him install it but our door is 46" wide so any door we buy will be custom made and $$$. Any ideas?

a roller screen. i've got about three doors I want one on - they're on the list . . . .

I've also seen "temporary" screens that are loose (and very cheap), but hang from the top of the door-jamp and over lap the outer jambs a bit. You push them aside as you go in and out.

I have used a "Bug Off" screen for three years now. I only put it up when the weather is nice enough to use it, which is only for about four weeks out of the year. It uses a tension rod, and while there are velcro tabs down the sides, I don't bother with those, so when we go through the door, we just sweep the entire screen to the side. The magnets holding the panel closed are pretty strong, so if you want to use it that way, you will have to use the velcro. We just figured that for the limited amount of time we can use it, we wouldn't use the velcro.

I have been very pleased with it. I bought mine from Amazon, though.

http://www.bugoffscreen.com/

My Mom saw something like this on tv. But I said "no thanks" simple because it was advertised on tv - it sounded like one of those things that only work in commercials.

So - anyone have experience, does it work?

We don't have one, but were at someone's house a couple weeks ago who have one that parted in the middle and closed with magnets. She said she loved it and it was great for letting the dogs come and go as they pleased.

Thanks all for the ideas and sites. I just ordered the bugoff screen from Amazon. It should be here by Friday...can't wait.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have enjoyed ours. Well, as much as one can 'enjoy' a removable screen door! :lol:

Oh, a hint~~~ keep the box it comes in to store when not using. Mine came in a long narrow box that opens at the end so I just roll the screen up and stuff it and the rod back in when I'm not using it. It doesn't go back in the way it came out (nothing ever does!), but it's still quite handy. :D